Skip to main content

Topic: Even Guild Wars 1(!!!) got a grafic udpate (Read 425 times) previous topic - next topic

Even Guild Wars 1(!!!) got a grafic udpate
Guild Wars 1 got a new update, first release April 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf3bif0AiLo
inDev_ Dusk (12 months) - Subscriber
In the Darkfall Univers since 2005
in january 2009 i was still in a Darkfall Beta and did wait for a release... dejavu at it best!

Re: Even Guild Wars 1(!!!) got a grafic udpate
Reply #1
DnD would definitely get a huge improvement if they managed to update the graphics indeed.
This is probably the biggest turnoff to try it for all those out there that have never tried this game.
They give a look at videos and screenshot and the first thing they think is probably "Damn this looks so old, it can't be any good" and won't even try it.

To me, that would be the n°1 thing to improve on if they want to try to attract more people to the game.....the majority of people will not even try a game they think is ugly and looks old.

Reply #2
Why you people always write "DnD"? "Dungeons 'n Dragons" or what you mean? It is "DND".

Reply #3
GW1 was and still is one of the best games I ever played. Shame GW2 went in a completely different path... I just don't enjoy it :(
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #4
Whats the point in graphics update? If you ramp up all the video settings in game, it looks already quite decent. However, people will turn it down to lowest settings anyway for most FPS and visibility (shadows, underwater). Especially in sieges. Don't know what Ub3r did, but DND sieges feel worse than DFO FPS-wise.

Reply #5
Whats the point in graphics update? If you ramp up all the video settings in game, it looks already quite decent. However, people will turn it down to lowest settings anyway for most FPS and visibility (shadows, underwater). Especially in sieges. Don't know what Ub3r did, but DND sieges feel worse than DFO FPS-wise.

Thats the point what most people dont understand --- if you set a 2009er grafic game with a 2006er engine to its lowest settings - the NASA PC Systems from today 2016-2018 have to downrate itself - that becomes mostly a bottle neck. FPS gamers give a shit on it, on that point iam with you. But alot of MMO(rpg) fans want a fantastic enviroment (we wont get this here ofc)..but grafic and physics are still and will be always buy argument next to many other features which are standards in 2018.

Here we come to the - fps-combat players are just a very small crowd.. if you dont feed the sheeps they move away and less and less pvp in total will happen, but i guess the most have felt it on their own in the last couple of months.
in january 2009 i was still in a Darkfall Beta and did wait for a release... dejavu at it best!

Reply #6
As I said, if you ramp up the graphics, Darkfall looks decent. But people who come here only for the graphics will quit at the first inconvenience anyway. And there are many inconveniences: GUI, learning curve, entry level, etc.

Reply #7
That's not necessarily true. Sure, most people will quit because it is harsh and much different from all other mmorpgs out there, but bad graphics (compared to the competitors) will just make so a ton of people will not even give it a chance because that's how most people judge a game they don't know: let's watch some video/screenshot and see how it seems to be.

They see a definitely not shiny game, and they discard it without even trying because "it looks so old and bad, it can't be any good".

I agree that, after playing it for a bit, the graphics are not THAT bad, but the first impression is that it looks like an ugly and old game. I had the same feeling when i compared the graphics here and those in UW. I remember that, back when UW came out, it didn't look that much better graphic wise to me (because i was used to DF at that time) but when i came back to DND and compared the two my first impression was exactly the opposite and the old DF seemed so ugly to me too

Reply #8
This is a game where shit players like Prometheus (who start every duel by hitting you in the back with melee at the bank to 40% when your playing a mage, then still loses and goes on a 30 minute rant about magic when he's kitted) might able to get a kill on. Have fun. #dweeb

My missus is fit actually I cant beleive she still has sex with me

New Dawn Best UI Winner 2018 - Add me on Snapchat - tinydicksteve69

Reply #9

Reply #10
I have the feeling that a few tweaks and cheap modifcations in shaders mostly could make a huge difference on the first impact. Water, sky, a bit of sharpening of the textures, the distance fog color, a bit of distance blur,...

The game as some graphical quality in the scenery artistic direction and it is quite atmospheric.

I had some hope that they would continue the kind of little modification they made to the metal shader. It seems they have no resource for that now. But i think it would pay off in new player retention.

Then there is the magical effects... They need a bit of love too. But this probably far more demanding.