Skip to main content

Topic: Upcoming Dark Fantasy Medieval Rust RPG Server (Read 1323 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Upcoming Dark Fantasy Medieval Rust RPG Server
Reply #15
Cleaned up the Original Post, added our Reddit, and updated "Planned Server Features" to be more reflective and accurate of evolutions in our game design. Also added two newly-produced videos. Will continue to edit in new videos to this thread without having to bump it, so feel free to check back periodically.
  • Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:49:04 am by Adûn

Reply #16
Cleaned up the Original Post, added our Reddit, and updated "Planned Server Features" to be more reflective and accurate of evolutions in our game design. Also added two newly-produced videos. Will continue to edit in new videos to this thread without having to bump it, so feel free to check back periodically.

Played a server cycle this last week on a local rust server after about a year away to check out the changes and taking a break from DF. Have to ask man, are you able to clean up the Rust client at all or do you just host a modified server with the base rust client? The latest rust client is total dogshit still. I'm surprised its still as bad as it is. I have not had a game crash on me in a long time, and the lag -both server and player loading is severe.

Are you also able to clean up the hit boxes, melee reach? it felt like they hadnt touched that part of the game at all. Its still not good. I'm not trying to be negative either, rust just still plays, feels, like a game in beta and its been a long time.
  • Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:18:31 am by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #17

Played a server cycle this last week on a local rust server after about a year away to check out the changes and taking a break from DF. Have to ask man, are you able to clean up the Rust client at all or do you just host a modified server with the base rust client? The latest rust client is total dogshit still. I'm surprised its still as bad as it is. I have not had a game crash on me in a long time, and the lag -both server and player loading is severe.

Are you also able to clean up the hit boxes, melee reach? it felt like they hadnt touched that part of the game at all. Its still not good. I'm not trying to be negative either, rust just still plays, feels, like a game in beta and its been a long time.

Rust client was perfect for me, zero crashes.

I find it hilarious that your talking about hit boxes, I haven't found a single player in DND whos hit box is fully attached to them, most hit boxes are lagging behind.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Not to derail this thread (their discord is even better) but I find it hilarious that the guy screetching about activity and population in New Dawn is checking out other games. He must've got burned out from all that pvp going on
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #19

Rust client was perfect for me, zero crashes.

I find it hilarious that your talking about hit boxes, I haven't found a single player in DND whos hit box is fully attached to them, most hit boxes are lagging behind.
Not to derail this thread (their discord is even better) but I find it hilarious that the guy screetching about activity and population in New Dawn is checking out other games. He must've got burned out from all that pvp going on

Jesus look at you two old ladies, I have not been on the forums in days and your both still affected. Its summer and you both are still here crying like New Dawn touched you in a dark movie theater, is your life really that empty? I kinda feel sorry for you guys, keep the hate going I guess? [nevergoingtogiveyouup.jpg]

We are talking about Rust cupcakes, ....and FYI BK, that is what normal people do. They play different games with friends, not cry about taking a break from a game, then hitting that games forums 24/7 like some crazy street walker. Since I was online a grand total of 30 mins before having a close fight with Beast Slayer from nomads at a spawn, I'm guessing things are still better then you try to imply here on forumfail. Keep trying I guess?

Back to my original question- Rust is still a mess, I am curious how much control on the client you have with a modded server?
  • Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:16:06 pm by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #20
@Ivar_theBoneless

Generally speaking, the Rust client itself is in the game developer (Facepunch's) jurisdiction. However, there's a fair amount that can be done on the server owner's end. The quality of the hosting, i.e. running on NVME SSD's, Dedicated CPU, Optimization of the infrastructure of the server, avoiding conflicting code, etc, these things actually impact performance quite noticeably. One of our very first Patreon goals post-launch will be to focus militantly on optimization.

Hitboxes and Melee Reach (or at least, the things which influence them) are two things we can tinker around with, though I haven't personally found them to be in poor states. You'll find the combat on our server to be quite different from Classic Rust, though, as the TTK is considerably longer and more akin to classical RPG exchanges over gunplay, which should in turn give you an idea of the "feel" we're going for with every attribute of the combat system. Feel free to pop in for our upcoming Beta 1 on July 5th.

Reply #21
@Ivar_theBoneless

Generally speaking, the Rust client itself is in the game developer (Facepunch's) jurisdiction. However, there's a fair amount that can be done on the server owner's end. The quality of the hosting, i.e. running on NVME SSD's, Dedicated CPU, Optimization of the infrastructure of the server, avoiding conflicting code, etc, these things actually impact performance quite noticeably. One of our very first Patreon goals post-launch will be to focus militantly on optimization.

Hitboxes and Melee Reach (or at least, the things which influence them) are two things we can tinker around with, though I haven't personally found them to be in poor states. You'll find the combat on our server to be quite different from Classic Rust, though, as the TTK is considerably longer and more akin to classical RPG exchanges over gunplay, which should in turn give you an idea of the "feel" we're going for with every attribute of the combat system. Feel free to pop in for our upcoming Beta 1 on July 5th.

Appreciate the response, I was playing on an official Northeast server and a modded server (ice) both servers my ping is below 20, but I noticed when you're fighting with hand weapons the range and and timing to hit somebody's hitbox was kind of all over the place. each person you came across was extremely different- is the best way I can explain it. More so than you notice in other games and very much like it was in Rust a year ago. Best way I can explain it is when you're playing and you successfully hit somebody either with archery or melee and you are surprised that was a successful hit.

Reply #22
This looks interesting I have always wanted to play a game with voice chat

Reply #23
Our Beta Dates have been announced:
- Beta 1: July 7th (3PM EST) - August 2nd
- Beta 2: August 4th - September 6th

They will have no population restriction: up to 250 players concurrent.

Rustfall Discord (220 Users): https://discord.gg/NVyFg4z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU10-r4gBzY

• Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:26:22 pm by Adûn