Skip to main content

Topic: Why do you think DFO died? (Read 1197 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why do you think DFO died?
Reply #15
I can only speak for myself as someone who loves PvP-oriented sandbox games and tried to get into Darkfall on multiple occasions, but for me the biggest blocker was always the grind. Plain and simple. I played for months and put in a ton of hours during that time and still I didn't feel as though I was anywhere close to being viable compared to veterans. All of my friends who joined with me dropped off as well one by one until I was the only one left and then I quit too. From the forums it was obvious to see that there were thousands of others like myself who left for that reason alone.

I have a long history of hardcore gaming and I put in as many hours as I can with a full time job and responsibilities in real life, but I just didn't see getting to end-game in Darkfall as a realistic objective. I sincerely hope that whatever you guys are doing will address the grind and allow us to reach viability more quickly.

Reply #16
The grind was huge. I played from 2 weeks after EU launch almost until the very end (3-4 months before shutdown). The biggest problem the game had was the grind for sure. I rerolled 3 times and even when I was a veteran with complete game awareness and how to grind efficiently, it still took me months to become 'competitive'. This skill grind is what lost the majority of the players.

The only people left that endured the grind were the hardcore players that played every day. From here, playerauctions killed the game, imo. People started buying reagents, armor, weapons with cash instead of going out and grinding for it. This made the game seem dead as a lot of huge clans never left their cities apart from sieges anymore.

Reply #17
The grind was huge. I played from 2 weeks after EU launch almost until the very end (3-4 months before shutdown). The biggest problem the game had was the grind for sure. I rerolled 3 times and even when I was a veteran with complete game awareness and how to grind efficiently, it still took me months to become 'competitive'. This skill grind is what lost the majority of the players.

The only people left that endured the grind were the hardcore players that played every day. From here, playerauctions killed the game, imo. People started buying reagents, armor, weapons with cash instead of going out and grinding for it. This made the game seem dead as a lot of huge clans never left their cities apart from sieges anymore.

Yup the grind was definitely one of the main reasons why most newbies ended up leaving after their initial playphase.

The jack of all trades nature of the game didn't help though. You almost had to max everything in order to feel competitive. It felt like you were playing a constant ''catch up''. More specializations or "titles" as they like to call them will help for sure.

I do believe that @Ub3rgames plans on frontloading most spells and skills as well?
  • Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:29:22 pm by NeroImperitus

Reply #18
Yes, we will add diminishing returns and more progressive benefits on stats and skills.
This should ensure short term viability but also long term appeal for the game.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
If the difference in power from 75 to 100 is only a 1-2% of power then i'm fine to keep the grind for these final points, however if the difference is more i don't know, people will feel the grind relevant and mandatory again.

I still think that the game should be less gear and stats dependant and more player skills where your choices, positioning and timing matter and can decide the output of a fight. I mean, stats and gear should give you just an edge, to avoid naked players and give players a reward if they win a figh.
  • Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:30:13 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #20
We do not know exactly by how much the we will diminish the returns.
But we will approach this issue from the opposite side:
With equal player skill, a maxed out character with maxed out gear should beat an average character with average gear 6 times out of 10.

We'll then find the proper diminishing return values that ends up creating this kind of winrates.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
We do not know exactly by how much the we will diminish the returns.
But we will approach this issue from the opposite side:
With equal player skill, a maxed out character with maxed out gear should beat an average character with average gear 6 times out of 10.

We'll then find the proper diminishing return values that ends up creating this kind of winrates.

Indeed, but in this case another factor come in, the gear availability and how much time and farming you need, or how much a high tier set cost if you buy from dedicated crafters.
So is not only gear and stats but availability too, and the more a tier is hard to get the more this difference increase (and for this reason, imo, gear shouldn't be hard to make for crafters and grind should be minimal if you specialize just in some professions).
Just take into considerations these factors too since they are all dependant to each other.
  • Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:36:29 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #22
That is something we mention often, trying to lower the gear inflation to keep easily available gear as the more commonly used, and some higher end be reserved for rarer occasions. If r30 to r50 is daily gear, r60 for  important villages or watchtowers fights and r70+ for sieges, then in most situations, newer players will not be too much at a disadvantage.

Reply #23
The gear gap was perfect. that never was the problem. Completely unused gear set or ''if you come wearing this, we kick you out from the clan for being useless'' type of thing is what we need to adjust lol.

R40 weapons were completely useless. So R40 and below that are the only things that must be adjusted. I also feel that while adjusting these low tier weapons, they should cost us a little more to craft. It was easy to have plenty of simples. If you make R40's become way too viable below R50's, we won't feel the risk to lose them in a fight which would then create an other problem; we want players to take risk. So it's important to make sure that if you make all of these become viable, there should not be a way to inflate the game with millions of R40 and that goes for everything else.

I remember, all heavy armor were good, even full banded for maxed out vets. So i feel like heavy armor from noobish quality to dragon should not be touched at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69foU3otWw
Here, you got one of the best player(umberto finito) in full banded doing work. Not a destroyer, an hybrid.

As for leather, bones and studded were the only viable type, but studded was always more like a filler. Wearing full studded was not a good idea because your encumbrance would then be a little too high for a mage, but not high enough to be an archer since with a full studded set, you were no where near 50 or 60 encumbrance which is where you need to be before your archery damage. reduces. At the same time, if i recall, a full studded is not good at all against magic so you die quick vs a mage, but i'm not too sure about that.

Reply #24
The things you said we needed to adjust are what we call the gear gap.

We would review cost to potency effect. We want players to feel a risk, but we also want them to grind less for daily gear. So part of the loss of losing would be moved from gear to skill decay on gank.

There would also be more tools to cary around that are not mandatory but good to use, which gives more granularity to the "what do I risk?" choice. Mages would get expensive toys to use/lose as well, but we expect reagents to increase in costs too.(but be player driven prices)

One thing we've discussed as well is to buff heavy armor protections but increase their encumbrance. Remember, we talked about studded/bones too and how we wanted to reinforce the magic/stamina/resistance split.

The gap from naked to top gear is not an issue and can/should be increased as long as the gap between decently viable daily gear and top gear is not too wide.

That is what we mean by "average character and average gear". A character that took 60h to make and r40 gear.