Skip to main content

Topic: I really like Caravans & local banking! (Read 868 times) previous topic - next topic

• Zeb
  • [*][*][*][*]
I really like Caravans & local banking!
I just wanted to make a post on what I admire about local banking and caravans.. and what it adds to the overall game..

Moving out of a holding or moving into one can sometimes require caravans to be made to help fill it out..
socially this adds
-Spy networks (infiltrated spys will announce when a caravan leaves/where its going)
-People actively reconning a holding to see caravans/people leaving
-Road encounters so much more frequent

strategically this adds
-Large clans having holdings much closer and clustered to their main holding
     -Rather than spreadout because of portal networks
-Active campaigns to strangle hold a holding so that no resources can get to it.
-Logistics, leaders have to plan out how to maintain a ground war in advance
    -depending on the distance from a local bank (players would have to store gearbags ahead of time)
           -Spys could come into play and thwart those strategys, saying all there resources are at this bank.

Economically this adds
-Player run trade holdings
     -trading hubs (hubba hubba)
-Local prices
-Jobs for people who enjoy transporting goods
    -Hiring people for protection from bandits!

It adds so much and ive only scratched the surface to what just these 2 things add to the game.

• Naos
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: I really like Caravans & local banking!
Reply #1
Also a fan of that feature but the following seems me rather a problem/leads to to easy griefing:
"Cargo" mount, if killed, will only drop 50% of its content, the rest being destroyed."
I can go naked/low equipped and destroy any mount easily, even battlehorns when I focus on that instead of the defenders.
It should be rather so that it drops a package and either the caravan owner can assign that to a new mount or a raider who won the fight can break it then at the mentioned 50% costs.

• Zeb
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
That does worry a little bit since you pointed out your mischievous plan..A easy fix could be increasing the health of mounts? or setting a disabled state rather than just a dead mount.

Its a good point you bring up.

Reply #3
Good idea.
It could be similar to how a ship strongbox can be forced. We'll think about it a bit more and adapt the design.

It was initialy thought as a way to make drowning mounts undesirable and bridges hotspots. That will really add more to the concept of counterplay that we wanted with "gain control".

Thanks
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #4
Local banking without instant travel will be great - it will force players to fight for their lands  and roam over the map.
I love ideas which increase reasons to leave the holding to prevent afking all day on the bank which was common for DFO 1
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
Anquare Quare Supreme General

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Local banking without instant travel will be great - it will force players to fight for their lands  and roam over the map.
I love ideas which increase reasons to leave the holding to prevent afking all day on the bank which was common for DFO 1

Local banking provide also a local economy and market hubs in the npc towns, along with local resources. Instant travel was a crappy feature anyway.
If you really want to change location and zone you have to bring with you all your belongings with caravans or with the help of your own guild.
  • Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:47:16 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #6
local banking will solve everything
New dawn quote :

Everything is solved with markets and local banking

Reply #7
Too much salt here bruh.

Reply #8
local banking will solve everything

so mad becuz roa is dead lolololol, arent you having fun with the 4 other ppl playing?

Reply #9
I just wanted to make a post on what I admire about local banking and caravans.. and what it adds to the overall game..

Moving out of a holding or moving into one can sometimes require caravans to be made to help fill it out..
socially this adds
usually people just raft up to cover the majority of the distance and put all the gear in named bags on one player that logs out the second combat happens. If its a land route, again, the same thing, using mounts to throw the one player forward mixed in with begones/heals while he bhops. When someone logs out, it takes roughly 10 seconds to leave the world. It becomes everyones goal to keep the guy carrying everyones bank alive for 10 seconds, mixed in with load lag, any significant force would never even see the guy with the bank.
-Spy networks (infiltrated spys will announce when a caravan leaves/where its going)
hasn't happened yet, likely won't. way too much effort for minimal reward.
-People actively reconning a holding to see caravans/people leaving
people don't do this, people raid holdings. caravans aren't that often because there isn't much reason to move, almost no reason to move around the map with a grand total of 9 mobs worth killing.
-Road encounters so much more frequent
ive been playing this game consistently 12+ hours a day since launch, i have had one encounter on a road, and it was me sitting outside sanguine.

strategically this adds
-Large clans having holdings much closer and clustered to their main holding
     -Rather than spreadout because of portal networks
holdings aren't desirable because there are 9 mobs worth farming, and there are no portal networks. people will setup near a metal golem or something that drops high tier leather mats and never leave.
-Active campaigns to strangle hold a holding so that no resources can get to it.
the economy is so busted that any halfway decent clan has near infinite mats, especially so if they are near one of the 9 desirable mobs in the game.
-Logistics, leaders have to plan out how to maintain a ground war in advance
    -depending on the distance from a local bank (players would have to store gearbags ahead of time)
           -Spys could come into play and thwart those strategys, saying all there resources are at this bank.
everyone knows where all the banks are, its in everyones main holdings. This is also the second biggest reason why there have been no sieges. They added local banking, and added the most basic form of logistics and nothing else, with no QOL additions. With the current mechanics, players are not even remotely interested in hauling such a large amount of siege materials and gear, and this is mixed in with less than 20 holdings on the map having any value at all. Not to mention, like 18 of these holdings cost well over a million to siege, which makes any clan that isn't farming 240% VCPs not able to afford it.

Economically this adds
-Player run trade holdings
     -trading hubs (hubba hubba)
Likely won't happen, every local market is close to empty outside of racial capitols. Due to the developers putting no major balance into the VCPs and certain mob spawns, the economy is already ruined beyond repair without massive rollbacks and resets. Infernal will be pretty much the new banded on release.
-Local prices
-Jobs for people who enjoy transporting goods
    -Hiring people for protection from bandits!
Sure, when people have a reason to move things around, and when there are more logistic options available in the game.

It adds so much and ive only scratched the surface to what just these 2 things add to the game.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
  • Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:12:29 pm by water_wizard
LOUNGE LIZARD/SKY

• SoethThoth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Great ideas!

And Ub3rgames said; It is the way it is, and it was. 8)

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Copperfield the forum troll, necroed a 3 year old topic if you didn't notice just to continue his personal crusade to ridiculize the game. Moderation and sub only forum is at this point necessary.
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

• Zeb
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Sounded good on paper guys, I don't think the game has reached it's maturity yet for it to actually be good, too many aspects were rushed in at the end of indev and a lot of features that would make local banking hurt less are not in.

Reply #13
I love the idea of local banking and all the dependencies it brings with caravans, bridge choke points, clustered large clan holdings for regional control,etc...

But after a month of playing, very few of these things were realized.  :(

My Clan of 50+ have moved holdings 3 times, running tens of thousands of kg of gear, ores and building mods.  No big caravans just  2-3 characters / alts overburdened and slowly jogging across the world.

My Clan has holding scattered across the world,  islands, mainland north, west and even one closer to center,  none are next to each other or clustered.

So why is it that we missed all the cool goals that localization could bring  ?  It all comes down to ...

Lack of Population in a massively large world.

The cool localized goals and dreams only work in a heavily populated area which is rare in our world and will only be less frequent as the population levels out after launch.

Reply #14
So why is it that we missed all the cool goals that localization could bring  ?  It all comes down to ...

Lack of Population in a massively large world.

The cool localized goals and dreams only work in a heavily populated area which is rare in our world and will only be less frequent as the population levels out after launch.

I'm sorry but a games population is reciprocal to game content. Localization was suppose to make the game boom remember? Thats what everyone wanted? That was the original vishun!

The map/mob layout is horrible (any1 down to go to cairn to farm some zombies?), the loot tables are horrible (Any1 want to kill some Cairn Giants, one of the most difficult mobs in the game, for a CHANCE at some thick leather, and some carrots?) and there is no reason to siege a holding near you other than egostroke, because all that accomplishes is kicking away players to fight.

It is both enjoyable and disturbing to sit and watch both companies take out the main driving factor of conquest, and expect players to take part in conquest. For what? Why would I want to go take another city when I own one already, please, someone inform me. In 2011/2012, there was a siege EVERY weekend in Darkfall. GUARANTEED AT LEAST 1 SIEGE. How is it that both RoA and DND destroyed this?

• Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:33:43 pm by Seronys

This is DND, not any other iteration of DF. Everything is slower, and more local. It is the way it is.