Skip to main content

Topic: Calling all atheists (Read 1304 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Calling all atheists
Reply #15
It really is not.
It is just a different type of faith. Since you can't verify or falsify the existence of God, Atheists decide to "not believe" in a God.
Not believing in something does not make it a religion.

I also don't believe in Tooth Fairy. Does that mean my religion is "not believing in tooth fairy" ?

I'm not saying there is no omnipotent being (one could call me an agnostic), I'm saying is: gtfo with forcing your beliefs onto other people.

We can prove the tooth fairy doesnt exist tho. You cant do that with a God.

Atheists follow the religion of science, and force their beliefs on others.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #16
It really is not.
It is just a different type of faith. Since you can't verify or falsify the existence of God, Atheists decide to "not believe" in a God.

I also don't believe in Tooth Fairy. Does that mean my religion is "not believing in tooth fairy" ?

I'm not saying there is no omnipotent being (one could call me an agnostic), I'm saying is: gtfo with forcing your beliefs onto other people.

How can you prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist? I'll have you know I've met the Tooth Fairy and she is rather lovely.
dodgy bastard

Reply #17
It really is not.

Yes and not believing in santa clause is also just another faith, am I right? No easter bunny, just another faith. Tooth fairy, just more faith.

That's the problem with the overly religious is they confuse believing in a made up being the same as not believing in a made up being and this lack of logic is what makes them believe in the made up being in the first place.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:17:21 pm by Mycke

Reply #18
The earth is flat 100%

My missus is fit actually I cant beleive she still has sex with me

New Dawn Best UI Winner 2018 - Add me on Snapchat - tinydicksteve69

Reply #19
It really is not.

Umm, no and here is why from the previous thread by Soeth on this subject

the complexity of our universe shows that it was designed by a greater being.

So greater beings are simple and are not in need of being created or are they complex and created as well? For a greater being to create a complex universe it too must be complex, for a simple creator can only create simple creations, and thus the creator must be complex and in need of creation itself, having its own creator causing an infinite chain of creators.

An infinite chain of creators can not be true, its just a ridiculous premise, as is the idea of a 'simple' universe creating greater being, so either its not true that complex things are proof of creation or that no god exists since nothing so complex could ever exist without being created itself by something complex.

Thats actual logic and reason, just saying.

Edit: Just to complete this argument for the sake of the OP I will follow it to its logical conclusion.

It can not be true that complexity is proof of creation, for that would disprove the creator itself and is just a false premise. Complex things can have always existed, be it a complex creator or a complex universe, one or the other must have ALWAYS existed and not been created. Now we know the universe exists we have plenty of evidence it does and only conjecture it doesn't, where we have no evidence god exists only faith it does.

So we know something has always existed and we know the universe exists, so if the two possibilities are that an unproven greater being always existed and at some point created a universe, or that just a universe itself has always existed, all probability goes to the universe itself having always existed without ever adding the extra layer of putting an always existing being to then create the universe.

Thus a creator in all likelihood does not exist.

As an atheist I know its impossible to prove the absence of something, like the tooth fairy, there is no way to prove it doesn't exist, but the probabilities can be evaluated in such a way that the odds of existence approach so close to 0% that its almost indistinguishable from 0%.

The problem is religion is not based on logic and so my very logical explanation of why a greater being in all likelihood doesn't exists gets lost in their lack of logic and ends up meaning nothing to them.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:27:06 pm by Mycke

• sup
  • [*]
Reply #20
Science is in no way a religion.  Science as a study is always actively trying to increase knowledge or prove itself wrong through testable, repeatable results.  If someone found scientific proof for a god it would be considered one of the greatest discoveries in human history, celebrated, and expanded upon endlessly.

How can you prove something doesn't exist?  According to some of the definitions listed you would all be part of the "religion of nonbelieving in..." thousands of other gods.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:36:31 pm by sup

Reply #21

You cannot disprove a negative.  Almost all atheists are "agnostic" atheists, meaning they don't claim to know with 100% certainty that god(s) don't exist; they disbelieve in gods in the same way you would disbelieve in the tooth fairy, unicorns, Zeus, and so on.  To be intellectually rigorous and humble, one cannot rule out that unicorns might exist in some unknown place or realm, because no person has absolute knowledge of everything. 

But just because one cannot rule something out with certainty is hardly support for belief in the existence of a particular thing or entity! I mean, I've never dug up my back yard, but if I had faith there was a chest full of gold buried there to fund my retirement at 65, that'd be foolish; yet it's hypothetically conceivable such a chest is actually buried there.

A gnostic atheist (gnostic means knowing in Greek) would claim they have certain knowledge of the nonexistence of god(s), with the certainty that they know that 2+2 = 4.  Such atheists are rare and tend to base their arguments on purely logical constructions , not any empirical, sense-based observations of the world.

Your beliefs aren't that different than that of an atheist. You disbelieve in all other gods and super natural beings except just the one you have been encultured into, presumably some version of Christianity.  Atheists just disbelieve in one fewer god than you. If you were in Saudi Arabia or India or Thailand you'd almost certainly have a different faith belief, as reinforced by punishment under family, community, and perhaps legal ostracism.  

When you give up the one last god you believe in, among the thousands that humans have/do believe in, then you'll be an atheist too.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:10:50 pm by Crisply Vague

Reply #22
Science is in no way a religion.  Science as a study is always actively trying to increase knowledge or prove itself wrong through testable, repeatable results.  If someone found scientific proof for a god it would be considered one of the greatest discoveries in human history, celebrated, and expanded upon endlessly.

How can you prove something doesn't exist?  According to some of the definitions listed you would all be part of the "religion of nonbelieving in..." thousands of other gods.

Exactly science isnt conclusive alot of the time. It's open to change based on evidence, it adapts to find the most likely truth. Religion doesn't.

That's why in time flat earth is gaining momentum.  More and more evidence is being uncovered. We will no longer be silent from within the shadows.

My missus is fit actually I cant beleive she still has sex with me

New Dawn Best UI Winner 2018 - Add me on Snapchat - tinydicksteve69

Reply #23
Yes and not believing in santa clause is also just another faith, am I right? No easter bunny, just another faith. Tooth fairy, just more faith.
To have faith means that you trust something to be true. As in this case that no God exists. And as I said: Since you can't verify or falsify the existence of God, all you can do is believe that no God exists.

Reply #24
Science is in no way a religion.  Science as a study is always actively trying to increase knowledge or prove itself wrong through testable, repeatable results.
Science and Religion don't exclude each other. Only blind fanatics would deny scientific proofs, like for instance "Flat-Earthers".

Reply #25
To have faith means that you trust something to be true. As in this case that no God exists. And as I said: Since you can't verify or falsify the existence of God, all you can do is believe that no God exists.

If you actually read my posts I never claim no god exists just that its probability is so close to 0% as to be indistinguishable, as is the tooth fairy, santa claus, the easter bunny, zeus, odin etc...

Reply #26
Mycke keep reposting the same drivel. Noone gave a shit the first time.

Nothing from nothing is nothing, you cant change that fact.

God is and forever was.

Newton proved Gods existence throught the human eye.

its funny how they brainwash you with made up stories as a child, then say this is proof for God not existing, as Santa and the Toothfairy are proven not to exist.

Just because a dog is a dog, it doesnt mean im a dog too.

I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #27

You cannot disprove a negative.  Almost all atheists are "agnostic" atheists, meaning they don't claim to know with 100% certainty that god(s) don't exist; they disbelieve in gods in the same way you would disbelieve in the tooth fairy, unicorns, Zeus, and so on.  To be intellectually rigorous and humble, one cannot rule out that unicorns might exist in some unknown place or realm, because no person has absolute knowledge of everything. 

But just because one cannot rule something out with certainty is hardly support for belief in the existence of a particular thing or entity! I mean, I've never dug up my back yard, but if I had faith there was a chest full of gold buried there to fund my retirement at 65, that'd be foolish; yet it's hypothetically conceivable such a chest is actually buried there.

A gnostic atheist (gnostic means knowing in Greek) would claim they have certain knowledge of the nonexistence of god(s), with the certainty that they know that 2+2 = 4.  Such atheists are rare and tend to base their arguments on purely logical constructions , not any empirical, sense-based observations of the world.

Your beliefs aren't that different than that of an atheist. You disbelieve in all other gods and super natural beings except just the one you have been encultured into, presumably some version of Christianity.  Atheists just disbelieve in one fewer god than you. If you were in Saudi Arabia or India or Thailand you'd almost certainly have a different faith belief, as reinforced by punishment under family, community, and perhaps legal ostracism.  

When you give up the one last god you believe in, among the thousands that humans have/do believe in, then you'll be an atheist too.

Just because you think like a retard, doesnt mean i do.

stfu.

Reply #28
If you actually read my posts I never claim no god exists just that its probability is so close to 0% as to be indistinguishable, as is the tooth fairy, santa claus, the easter bunny, zeus, odin etc...
It doesn't matter if you claim no God exists or believe in the Tooth Fairy or whatever. Everybody is free to believe what he wants.
I just tried to give a logical example of how Atheism is just a different form of belief. Religious people believe in God. Non-religious people don't believe in God. But in the end both are believers.

Reply #29
It doesn't matter if you claim no God exists or believe in the Tooth Fairy or whatever. Everybody is free to believe what he wants.
I just tried to give a logical example of how Atheism is just a different form of belief. Religious people believe in God. Non-religious people don't believe in God. But in the end both are believers.

Thats the problem there is no logic comparing a lack of belief in the improbable to the belief in the improbable, that is where your logic breaks down. You are comparing 'i think i will win the lottery' to 'I think i will lose the lottery' and making them equally reasonable.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:22:33 pm by Mycke