Skip to main content

Topic: quad core myth in darkfall (Read 262 times) previous topic - next topic

quad core myth in darkfall
 i5-8250u

my processer is only 1.6 ghz per core, and turbo boosted to 3.4 ghz.

I heard that Darkfall's engine only utilizes one core and doesn't support dual or quad core as efficiently.  This a fuckin' myth?

Can Myke or some wiseman shed some light on this?  I'll join your hippy dark elf clan I'm patching for the trial right now.

Re: quad core myth in darkfall
Reply #1
Check the patch notes in announcements, they talk about performance improvements in some of the patches.

Reply #2
i5-8250u

my processer is only 1.6 ghz per core, and turbo boosted to 3.4 ghz.

I heard that Darkfall's engine only utilizes one core and doesn't support dual or quad core as efficiently.  This a fuckin' myth?

Can Myke or some wiseman shed some light on this?  I'll join your hippy dark elf clan I'm patching for the trial right now.

That's a mobile CHIP, notebook? GL on that, won't be doing much past small PvP with heat throttling.

The improved performance by pushing some of the rendering to your GPU. But the DF client is still single core like most games pre the last few years

Reply #3
Single core.

Reply #4
Geforce MX150

yeah its a laptop, thanks for the reply

Reply #5
The most important thing for Darkfall is 1-2 high clocked main cores which laptops usually suck at

For example an 8 core 16 thread i7 7820x at 3.6ghz is WORSE than a 4 core 4 thread  I3 8350k @ 4ghz let alone the 4.8ghz it can do overclocked despite the higher core count CPUs costing many times more. Gaming is usually single thread with a few taking advantage of 2-4 cores. You can have more than that it just won't improve anything and it usually leads go higher temperatures and lower max clock speeds

Your graphics card doesn't matter much anything 560ti or better is fine with. Just looked it up and your GPU is actually better than a 560ti so its fine

If you need help building a great price to performance desktop PC for Darkfall or even in general let me know. I also know a bit about overclocking which can be big gains for free

I can also point you to the few laptops with good enough CPUs for high fps in Darkfall if thats the route you want to go

If you can make sure your laptop isn't doing any power saving bullshit and always runs at 3.4 turbo you'll definitely be able to play Darkfall but your fps won't be amazing. Turn off shadows and turn down graphics and play at 1080p or lower resolution and you'll be fine

Ideally you want a 144hz monitor and 144fps at all times though but your monitor on that laptop can only do 60 anyway

You also want Darkfall installed on an SSD with and at least 8 gigs of ram

Reply #6
Geforce MX150

yeah its a laptop, thanks for the reply

I played the original DF on a notebook. Can give you a few tips.

-Because all notebook CPU and GPU's are performance throttled, heat is your enemy more then a PC. So first, remove the battery when playing, its just generating heat while your gaming, then either buy a notebook pad with a raised back or do what I did and use lego's to raise to the back of your notebook a good 1"-1 1/2" to increase the airflow. I used legos because it was like 3$ vs 30$ and plastic is non-conductive so I just made a mini-stack wall that I sat the empty battery area on.

-Because your GPU drivers are throttled by the driver, you can go to a few places (like overclock.net) to get safe, un-signed GPU drivers that have this removed. This is what I did.

-Use an external monitor. This may or may NOT work depending on how strong your GPU card is. Because piping the game to an external monitor forces most of the work through the GPU, you might pick up frames. I used a TV because the lower resolution gain made up for the htz lag (since most TV's are 32htz x 2 to get  to 60htz)

A few things smurf said are correct and a few are wrong. They did improve the graphical performance and their DF client puts a lot more load on the GPU so its important this is running well. You are not going to pick up a lot of FPS frames overclocking your CPU that people might think you would (single digits 5-7% FPS gain), I suggest checking out a site like (https://www.digitalfoundry.net/) to see the effects of overclocking your CPU vs gaming. Every notebook has pre-installed power saving stuff, so if you cant do a fresh install (windows 10 is registered online so you dont need the original disk or # and its easy to make a new bootable USB for a fresh install, the hard part is going to your manufacture and downloading all the drivers, sometimes this is easy and windows will do it for you, sometimes this is very hard. Notebooks are just not made for gaming unless your dropping 5k on one of those monsters that are really a PC in a notebook body. And finally you will see a huge performance gain playing off a SSD. GL man
  • Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:57:50 pm by mezferic

• PIGGEHtheluxe
  • [*]
Reply #7
Dfo used  100% on core one and 15-20% on the secound one, DnD use one core at 100% and secound one at 60% so its a good improvement
I DIDN`T CHOOSE THE PIG LIFE, THE PIG LIFE CHOSE ME.

Intel i5 7600k 5.0 Ghz 1.325 volt | Corsair H100i V2 | 16 GB DDR4 Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 2400MHz | Asus Prime Z270-A | Asus Strix GTX 1080ti | Xfx pro 650 watt | Corsair Air 540 | Acer XG270HU 2560x1440 144hz | Corsair VOID Wireless | HTC VIVE <3

Reply #8
Dfo used  100% on core one and 15-20% on the secound one, DnD use one core at 100% and secound one at 60% so its a good improvement
Who told you this?  @PIGGEHdeluxe

Reply #9
My own testing from back in the day, was running 4 accounts on the same pc back then, if i forced darkfall on just a singel core i lost about 20% fps.

Reply #10
My own testing from back in the day, was running 4 accounts on the same pc back then, if i forced darkfall on just a singel core i lost about 20% fps.

The DF client is not multi-threaded (it's always going to be on a single core).

Anytime you force something to a specific core you interfere with the call order, basically saying I would rather you keep it here and pause for another finish another instruction set then to move it to its own core.

4 performance issue you're better off just turning off multi-threading

Reply #11
(not sure how to quote ppl on forums, sorry)

Useful info guys, I'll going to try using CPU-Z to overclock my shit

For darkfall I figured my bottleneck was my single core speeds,
I have 8g ram, and a SSD, and the GeForce MX150 pimps the cherry-ride on top.

I'm Sikth Trillionth, ingame trialing the nefarious Alfar;  Beware.

Reply #12

The DF client is not multi-threaded (it's always going to be on a single core).

Anytime you force something to a specific core you interfere with the call order, basically saying I would rather you keep it here and pause for another finish another instruction set then to move it to its own core.

4 performance issue you're better off just turning off multi-threading

still see my cpu going from all cores from 0-5% load to when only darkfall is launched it is 100% core one, core two is at 17ish% and other two are at 4-5%

Reply #13
BTW Mezferic,

I thought hyperthreading was when a single core splits itself to communicate better with itself,
not 1 core communicating with another.

oops, you said multi-threading.  ok.
  • Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:37:22 pm by Verxxes101

Reply #14
The DFO client is actually multi threaded, but it has a very heavy main thread that isn't split up and will be the bottleneck for most hardware.
We have done some improvements by multi threading most of the loading process, but it is still best to focus on single core frequency, as eventually just handling updates in large scale will bottleneck it anyway.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.