Skip to main content

Topic: Clans should not be able to race mix AT ALL it's bad for the game (Read 1822 times) previous topic - next topic

Clans should not be able to race mix AT ALL it's bad for the game
Throughout every version of Darkfall we have always eventually (or even at the start) run into the same problem.

That problem is that the best players of each race end up grouping together in 1 dominate ARAC faction (maybe with 1 secondary faction that can almost compete with them on a small scale if you're lucky) and every other player group else is literally a non factor and at their mercy.

One of the best ways to stop this is to not let players of differing races (or at least racial factions) clan together AT ALL. That way it naturally splits the talent pool up and even in a worst case scenario you will always have at LEAST 3 solid factions so the game DOESN'T boil down into just 2 sides for a month until the losing side is driven to completely quit

I'm aware @Ub3rgames has talked about penalties for race mixing and being red and i guarantee you they are NOT ENOUGH to stop people like me (or at least how i used to play before i realized i was killing the only game i liked)

There needs to be mechanics that dissuade elite nutcups AND mechanics that LIMIT "Salt The Earth" style gameplay

Re: Clans should not be able to race mix AT ALL it's bad for the game
Reply #1
I agree in thew sense if they dont have the mechanics in that make being racial advantages it will kill the racial conflict and alignment system.

Reply #2
Couldn't agree more

Reply #3
@Battle Smurf

Game balance in play styles and the power gap between experienced player vs. new player when it came to: hit points, stats, skill number ( and how they got there before the new player).

That was the problem, not that they were playing a mixture of the races and could form a boy band. Ub3rgames has done a really good job of attacking those significant flaws. We will see how titles pushes this one way or another.

Edit- titles should balance it even more minus the whole splitting between PVP industrial nonsense is what meant
  • Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:45:32 am by mezferic

Reply #4
what if im a bad player, can i play with my friends?
ADD ME ON SNAPCHAT: PETIT_CHAT69

You should recomend the game to new players. It's never been in a better state

Reply #5
I don't really have a problem with a small group of "elite" players going ARAC. The problem comes when everyone goes ARAC because it's the path of least resistance. Clearly DnD has gone further than any other iteration of Darkfall in making ARAC come with penalties, whether it's enough has yet to be seen.  I will say that I would rather a hard lock out of mixed racial alliance clans than a return to ARAC being the norm. Ideally in a Sandbox it's better to have more choices, than simply locking options out, but choices must have consequences, and the consequences of going ARAC should be severe. Players need to understand it's generally a bad choice to go ARAC or Red, but DnD being a sandbox allows players to make bad choices if they so chose.

Reply #6
I think UB3R's approach to ARAC clans is a great system. The options there, but it's an uphill struggle and you're going to miss out of faction-wide content as a result.

With local banking, auction houses, markets, titles etc ARAC is going to be a complete ballache.

In the future though, I'd also love to see a way for players to leave their racial alliance and join another one. EQ2 had a system where through a fuck ton of effort you could do just that.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Betrayal_Timeline

If you left your racial faction you'd basically be fair game to everyone while you begin a long ass process of gaining influence with the faction of which you want to join.

In the end, your character would be a rarity within your new faction, almost like a prestige style system.

It would allow players, or groups of players to switch sides, though it wouldn't be the type of thing you could just do on a whim and would take a lot of work and time (e.g, months).

For ex SWG players, think along the lines of unlocking Jedi pre cu ;).

It could serve as a small clan event (and decision) or as at way to push the server narrative etc, a renegade group of Elves siding with Alfars as a precursor to a server war etc.

The main problem with this is character silhouette and ease of identification, if you're playing a Dwarf then an Orc is pretty much always going to be hostile towards you and this is for me at least the main detractor from this style of system appearing in Darkfall.

So, there would need to be an easy way to identify renegade characters, ideally through either new skins or unique Armour sets which match the factions aesthetic.

You could also use it as a tool to even up player numbers between factions, if one faction has a clear numerical advantage then the grind to join them would be exponentially larger, whereas if one faction is massively undermanned then their criteria for gaining favour would be lower.

Theres so much that could be done to the games faction and alignment system to improve it and add to it. Fingers crossed the games still going in 10 years time and it gets the systems and depth that it deserves.

• Orti
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
I agree but not for the elitist reason. With 3 weeks(ish) to go it wont seemingly be implemented either as players will already have their chars unless they provided a free race change at a later date.

Reply #8
There needs to be mechanics that dissuade elite nutcups AND mechanics that LIMIT "Salt The Earth" style gameplay
And if someone knows their SALT, it is this kid!

Agree, good suggestion, won't stop the people changing race and still be in a clan, but yup, the nutcups would be way harder to achieve in theory.
Giving the racial-alliance much more of a race wars feeling is also important, as this would maybe help to "defend" the homeland mentality.

Reply #9
You dont make any sense, mixed race clans will be red so whats the problem

Reply #10
Problem is will being red / blue actually mean something.

We were promised more alignment changes... but time is ticking away.
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #11
You dont make any sense, mixed race clans will be red so whats the problem
Did you read the thread? He even mentions this point:

I'm aware @Ub3rgames has talked about penalties for race mixing and being red and i guarantee you they are NOT ENOUGH to stop people like me (or at least how i used to play before i realized i was killing the only game i liked)

With ARAC possible, it is just way easier for said people to band together.
Most of them will end up red anyways as this is just their play style. This would be limited in the sense of the bigger game: No nutcups possible between the strongest people from different racial alliances.

The more people end up being red, the less the blue players will feel the "reward for being blue", especially after a few  months into the game. Then more and more end up being red anyways and bam, huge alliances, more killbox deathmatch gameplay as always and ye...

All theory and people will still do what they do, maybe change race, but it still is much more work.

Also racial alliance identity for "immersion" and possibly more reason for wars and sieges. (Those would mean pretty much factions like in other MMOs)

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12

what if im a bad player, can i play with my friends?

Nope, it's forbidden in Smurfs book.

Reply #13
One of the biggest fails of DF allowing ARAC. Should force and enhance race wars.

Reply #14
Add limitation or encourage races to only their respective holding's race type too LOL...like 4x med costs to hold a city not matching clan's race?  Same for any holding for ARAC.