Skip to main content

Topic: Delay the release (Read 3414 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Delay the release
Reply #60
who cares of mobs drop less gold.

Here is a quick example, values are not accurate.
If mobs drop 10,000 gold, r40 swords are valued at 400 gold each.

If mobs drop 10 gold you can sell r40's for 1 gold. 

Who cares how much gold is dropped, the value of things just moves accordingly.

Not that big of a deal.
Mostly correct... the prices on NPCs will be static, however, so this makes definitely makes regs and arrows more expensive, unless they've gone and removed those from vendors as well?

As a side note, alt proportions have not increased over the rates we saw during InDev, and these were negligible.

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #61
I admit , I have mixed feelings with regards to local banking and especially Titles.

5 Title slots & 19 Industry slots .....

I don't know what I cannot see, so I have to wait and see.

Concerning the addition of content.
If Local Banking doesn't add content ...  please give me some of that goddam Stormrune Tea you drinking.

Local Banking is a serious Game Changer ...

Some may say Tedious ...  (pft)
..others claim it as a challenge.

I am up for the challenge ...   ( have any tea ?? )

For me... it is a wait and see. and experiment.

Been spending the last 2 weeks strategizing, to make the transition less painful.

For those that are looking for the proverbial "Intstant PvP" ...  
Yeah....  maybe not so much..

I mean , was Darkfall every really designed for that type of gameplay ?
(playing the devil's advocate here)

I mean ... my understanding of the other version of Darkfall,
you can port on over to any part of Agon ... like Jiffy Quick...   
That's great ...   for a PvP game.

Agon is too big....  too large ....
Not like a 60 char cap ie 30/30   pvp ensemble...

Or maybe I don't know any better.

Reply #62
I get the idea of wanting to build wealth through trading, but for what reason? What are you going to use that money for? Player housing isn't in, crafting is still a boring grindfest, and you can't buy meditation with it, So I hope you like weapons, armor or donating copious amounts of gold to your clan city budget because there isn't really anything to spend it on. There is no guarantee you will see anything to buy with it in any reasonable amount of time either.

Basically they've added the first brick for the dam that will keep players in the game, and it's a good brick. But it needs a lot more than that to actually serve its purpose.  The game has the benefit of being relatively unknown right now and as it has been said before the hype is low so they can get away with more. The sad fact is that most players that dislike the game won't come back even after you make changes. Especially in a game like DF where they may feel like they have fallen behind. The bottom line is that if they release now people will see it as basically the same as the original DF and that is a TERRIBLE reputation to have.
Very subjective, "playing the market" is something some people just like, but most people don't and also don't understand why people like it.
A big reason is often entertainment, you most likely also find things entertaining other people don't.

PvP for the sake of PvP? Some love it, some don't understand it (because they don't find it entertaining for themselves)

Trolling around on forums and in-game? Griefing people? Be helpful and like to guide people? Gambling, RPing, politics....
Those are all somewhat strange activities but the reason why people do it is often entertainment(and more obviously).

The standard motives like daily needs, saving up for something expensive, building up a buffer etc are often not the driver(?)/impulse for the traders, more the risky investments, building up a reputation, understanding the market and game and other things.

There are even game time tokens planned(still?), so you could sell gold for game time tokens and that is something of real value at least.

Eve online(market is complex), Black desert(not that complex) online and World of Warcraft(simple) are also good examples as there are tons of guides and YT vids about strategies to get rich.
In some games being rich is more useful than in DF, that is very true, but who knows what ub3r is further planning, the game is not finished.

Reply #63
I get the idea of wanting to build wealth through trading, but for what reason? What are you going to use that money for? Player housing isn't in, crafting is still a boring grindfest, and you can't buy meditation with it, So I hope you like weapons, armor or donating copious amounts of gold to your clan city budget because there isn't really anything to spend it on. There is no guarantee you will see anything to buy with it in any reasonable amount of time either.

Basically they've added the first brick for the dam that will keep players in the game, and it's a good brick. But it needs a lot more than that to actually serve its purpose.  The game has the benefit of being relatively unknown right now and as it has been said before the hype is low so they can get away with more. The sad fact is that most players that dislike the game won't come back even after you make changes. Especially in a game like DF where they may feel like they have fallen behind. The bottom line is that if they release now people will see it as basically the same as the original DF and that is a TERRIBLE reputation to have.
Very subjective, "playing the market" is something some people just like, but most people don't and also don't understand why people like it.
A big reason is often entertainment, you most likely also find things entertaining other people don't.

PvP for the sake of PvP? Some love it, some don't understand it (because they don't find it entertaining for themselves)

Trolling around on forums and in-game? Griefing people? Be helpful and like to guide people? Gambling, RPing, politics....
Those are all somewhat strange activities but the reason why people do it is often entertainment(and more obviously).

The standard motives like daily needs, saving up for something expensive, building up a buffer etc are often not the driver(?)/impulse for the traders, more the risky investments, building up a reputation, understanding the market and game and other things.

There are even game time tokens planned(still?), so you could sell gold for game time tokens and that is something of real value at least.

Eve online(market is complex), Black desert(not that complex) online and World of Warcraft(simple) are also good examples as there are tons of guides and YT vids about strategies to get rich.
In some games being rich is more useful than in DF, that is very true, but who knows what ub3r is further planning, the game is not finished.

To sum it up, for me and(and others who consider themselves at least somewhat intelligent) the fun part is doing something constructive, solving some problems, building, creating. And it could be found anywhere in the game.

For example, one of my last serious DND play periods, i spent considerable time exploring the map, finding decent node locations. Getting that information can be beneficial and makes you feel like preparing/progressing. I suppose everyone must have some sort of similar goals, else why else would one play?

Reply #64
I get the idea of wanting to build wealth through trading, but for what reason?

What kind of question is that?  The answer is for personal enjoyment.  That is why people play games, to enjoy themselves.

Why do you collect gear in your bank?  Why do you 1v1 people?  Why do you fight monsters?  Why do you siege?  What are you going to do with your holding?  Why even have a holding?  Why even have gear?  Why even play the game?

Everyone has their own reasons for the things they do because this is a leisure time activity.   There is of course no real reason why someone would mass gold because ALL video games are a huge time sink and a massive waste of time in the end.  In the end, not matter what you play, or how you played, you still have nothing.

Film yourself playing a video game, then put a black edit over the screen and then watch the video.  Your sitting their doing NOTHING for no reason. 

Now let me get back to it. 
  • Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:28:50 am by Darkwulf

Reply #65

What kind of question is that?  The answer is for personal enjoyment.  That is why people play games, to enjoy themselves.

Why do you collect gear in your bank?  Why do you 1v1 people?  Why do you fight monsters?  Why do you siege?  What are you going to do with your holding?  Why even have a holding?  Why even have gear?  Why even play the game?

Everyone has their own reasons for the things they do because this is a leisure time activity.   There is of course no real reason why someone would mass gold because ALL video games are a huge time sink and a massive waste of time in the end.  In the end, not matter what you play, or how you played, you still have nothing.

Film yourself playing a video game, then put a black edit over the screen and then watch the video.  Your sitting their doing NOTHING for no reason. 

So you agree then that players need a reason to do the things they do in game? My entire point was that DF1 didn't give playrs that reason because it lacked content and none of the other versions of DF fixed that issue. You can "play the market" but you have to have a living market to take advantage of in the first place. Not to mention that if it's just you and the other virtual speculators all "playing the market" then the market will probably lose it's luster.

Having one aspect of the game in place doesn't mean the game will be fine, even if that one aspect is the one you care about. You need other players for a game like this to shine and they DO NOT have the content for those other players right now. There is nothing new for the PVE players, there is really nothing new for the crafters (ooh markets yaay), and the PVP side of things is somewhere between a balanced DFlite and a horribly imbalanced DFlite. Not quite sure what they'll do.

Let's get a quick checklist for the pre-launch patch contents:
Nuke loot tables with no time to balance, CHECK
Release title system without time to balance, CHECK
Release watchtower system to add content, NOPE
Balance alignment system, NOPE
Add new PVE content, NOPE
Add new crafting mechanics, NOPE

I'm not saying I won't play it for the first month or so. I did buy into the indev so I have some time anyways. But I am saying that most of the people I know who have heard of  DF are still asking what the difference is between all the versions, and the only answer I can give is that this one runs a bit less shit than the others.

Reply #66

So you agree then that players need a reason to do the things they do in game? My entire point was that DF1 didn't give playrs that reason because it lacked content and none of the other versions of DF fixed that issue. You can "play the market" but you have to have a living market to take advantage of in the first place. Not to mention that if it's just you and the other virtual speculators all "playing the market" then the market will probably lose it's luster.

Having one aspect of the game in place doesn't mean the game will be fine, even if that one aspect is the one you care about. You need other players for a game like this to shine and they DO NOT have the content for those other players right now. There is nothing new for the PVE players, there is really nothing new for the crafters (ooh markets yaay), and the PVP side of things is somewhere between a balanced DFlite and a horribly imbalanced DFlite. Not quite sure what they'll do.

Let's get a quick checklist for the pre-launch patch contents:
Nuke loot tables with no time to balance, CHECK
Release title system without time to balance, CHECK
Release watchtower system to add content, NOPE
Balance alignment system, NOPE
Add new PVE content, NOPE
Add new crafting mechanics, NOPE

I'm not saying I won't play it for the first month or so. I did buy into the indev so I have some time anyways. But I am saying that most of the people I know who have heard of  DF are still asking what the difference is between all the versions, and the only answer I can give is that this one runs a bit less shit than the others.

- PVE is vastly improved, but needs tweeking, so half finished but way more fun!
- New crafting mechanics no, but they did add tailoring mastery which added a lot of depth to the game and new mats, more reasons to PVE, more often people out there.
- Even now alignment is improved a lot but also half finished, that one is sad indeed.

More pros:
- Balanced armors and weapons. In the past only a few specific items were usefull, rest were garbage. Not it's the opposite which added depth to the game.
- Reduced grind A LOT with several different tools
- Reduced griefing methods A LOT
- Made AHK useless
- It took me a while to remember the word macroing, it's a thing of the past
- Organising bags, bank, loot ect is now super easy
- Improved gathering
- Improved villages
- Improved the quests but they still have a lot to do in that area
- Improved the feeling of char progression (for example removing the 25 step for spells and skills)
- Fixed/Improved several spells, magic schools and melee skills and more are coming (in a few hours I believe)
- Removed the idiotic pre-buff ceremony
- Improved monster's AI
- Improved performance A LOT
- Improved mounts
- Added marketplaces, which is huge
- Added holding upkeep and removed portal chambers. No more elite little groups owning and easily protecting all the best holdings in the game.
- We're soon changing to local banking and we already have local spawning after death (this is a matter of taste though)
- Fixed bugs and issues
- Added a lot of QoL

Cons:
- Left houses to be useless for now
- The state of the game requires some content like those alignment changes and war fronts ASAP. Also more med points sources (not bound to timers) are necessary.
- They promised grenades that will share a CD with shrapnel, so heavies can bunnyhop. So as it stands heavies have an issue.

Others
 - Watchtowers would be nice but even if they come 2 months after launch it'll be fine

Bad luck
- The guy that was making the new UI got sick, that sucked a lot

For more check this: https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,7022.0.html

Overall, they underestimated the dev time required to make their roadmap A LOT and now they are in crunch mode. DF is a big project, needs money and a large dev team. Maybe launch is just what they need to get there ;)
  • Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:08:00 am by Dunnin
Dunnin Dainstaff - SupremeGeneral of TTD

Reply #67
@Dunnin

You only get one shot at launch. You can dress up the description of your launch like "soft" "open" but you only get one shot. You f*** it up and you're done except for the rare occurrence where it's like free to play or it's such a large studio they have the money to improve it like Elder Scrolls Online for example.

Reply #68
@Dunnin

You only get one shot at launch. You can dress up the description of your launch like "soft" "open" but you only get one shot. You f*** it up and you're done except for the rare occurrence where it's like free to play or it's such a large studio they have the money to improve it like Elder Scrolls Online for example.
I agree partially as the past of all MMOs exactly showed how important the release is.
Fuck up the release and your game will most likely be empty-ish for a long time until you either are bankrupt or have made big additions and show the players that it might be good to try again.

Then again, DF is somewhat different:
Community is tiny, the market growth can be big here because the game is "special", nearly unique (for today's MMOs) and it is hard to find a non-themepark mmo, especially with real action combat, full loot etc.

There are only extremely few titles which are similar: RoA, Mortal Online(also tiny community)... there are a few more but I can't think of them.

Way less competition like most failed themepark MMOs which are very similar to each other imho.
The team size is not "that" big(couldn't find any number?), which makes it a bit easier to sustain off of a small community (maybe even an external source of money, like a rich sheik? lol)

The plan is risky, but if the additions after release are good, mouth to mouth maybe keeps going up IF the game is not a disappointment....

If no real competition comes out in the next 1-2 years*, it "could" work out and attract more people than it loses (after the big expected player drop at release that every game has except titles like WoW, Eve and ... minecraft?).

*some are planned afaik, but not much is known like the Amazon sandbox game.

Reply #69
They need to delay by a couple months until  they can get some of the core content they promised in before launch. After 1 month people will leave if this game doesn't start having new stuff added, by 2 months it will be a ghost town like roa.

Reply #70
They need to delay by a couple months until  they can get some of the core content they promised in before launch. After 1 month people will leave if this game doesn't start having new stuff added, by 2 months it will be a ghost town like roa.
They promised no new content until after launch. Don't spread lies please.

Reply #71
Concerning the addition of content.
If Local Banking doesn't add content ...  please give me some of that goddam Stormrune Tea you drinking.

Content for who?

"Local banking will be a convenience feature" - by Ubergames.

UW had content. Had relics, levy collectors, 3 dungeons wtf, it flopped. Because it did not have local banking? No. Because it did not have advertizement. Does ND have advertizement? What do you think it will happen.

Only idiots think that local banking is content. You will need of that tea and a lot of it 3 months into launch.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #72
UW had content. Had relics, levy collectors, 3 dungeons wtf, it flopped. Because it did not have local banking?

UW flopped due ultra AV Developer, named Axilmar, who have no skill like a GUI developer and start speaking on forums about recover of DFO, when AV start working for UW and adding new content and great patches....

P.s. New GUI, that he doing for ~1 year was rolled back on next day, due crazy memory leaks + he was shoked, when players rejected that they can not set items in personal order....

This is real reason, why UW died...

Real reason why DFO died is announcement about servers closing and wipe for release UW...

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #73
It's still a matter of when UW will return, not if.

;)
Proud member of TD.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #74
DFO died long before they even started working on UW, while claiming they werent diverting resources to a 2.0 version.
Then DFO died again when there was no real patches for over a year.
Then it died again when the announcement was made that there was a 2.0 coming, "but no wipe is needed, as its basicly a new game".
Then it rolled over in its grave when they announced "You will have to buy a new game, grind a new char because we cant transfer anything over".

AV killed DFO, AV killed DF UW.
It remains to be seen if DnD has enough changes to sustain itself long enough for the devs to build it into the something special that 1000(0)'s of people saw the potential of back when DFO launched.

And while you may hate Axilmar for his work, i can guarantee you that anybody else in his position wouldnt have done a better job.
Because thats the thing with a graphical designer, you get instructions and you roll with it.
You cant hear what your client/employer wants and say "eh, fuck it, its better my way".
And yes GUI is under that catagory.
The memory leaks suck ofcourse, but you cant pretend like DF UW didnt have leaks before that, or stopped having them at any point in its lifetime.

Heck, uber has done an amazing job at fixing memory leaks, but you still have some of them now.