Reply #15
10 Individual magic schools:
- +12 Titled magic school potency
- -4 to all other magic potency
- -4 to Overall physical potency
- Unlocks two signature spells

I don't even understand this :/
10 Individual magic schools - what?
- +12 Titled magic school potency - how? what magic school from where?
- Unlocks two signature spells - so unless you pick this title you can't have any signature spells? and i presume 2 is the maximum you can have?

Sorry if being stupid, I just find it confusing.
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Re: Discussion: About Titles
Reply #16
Also... why are Melee Haste and/or Iron Skin not Signature spells?

Instead... we have Earthquake as signature?! I am lost for words.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Come on Wyverex, everybody knows that earthquake is like the most OP spell earth magic has.
Us mages just agreed to never use this forbidden power so that agon wouldnt be torn apart.
But now that other options are being locked away behind titles, i think it may be time to unleash the power!

Reply #18
Holy shit, i don't even play "Mage" and i just lost all my utility O.o.

It's the movement spells and utility in this game that made it special, without them it's dead in the water.

Without that aspect of the game the combat suddenly becomes stale, slow and boring, as does the world which you won't be able to interact with and explore at anywhere near the same level as before.

Dumbing down and restricting the combat is bewildering, it just needs an easier learning curve and more sensible progression and direction.

My Playstyle (i'm not the best player, but i'm not a shitter). I use basically every utility spell in this in some point and this was one of my favorite
fights of the beta.
https://youtu.be/B9RtbcvtDDE?t=17
  • Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:48:33 am by morris

Reply #19
Mages are already super weak in melee due to armor. With titles even more so. But in DF there is no magic alternative to melee... You can't avoid melee combat like in DF:UW. You used to be able to with knock up spells, but those don't work on warriors anymore.

I'm afraid mages will become a niche class for group combat, not viable for small scale skirmishes

That aside, crafting + gathering skills seem like they'll mostly be on people's alts. It's great to force people to choose, but wouldn't it be enough to make them choose only one specialized craft on a separate non combat slot?

Reply #20
10 Individual magic schools:

I don't even understand this :/
10 Individual magic schools - what?
- +12 Titled magic school potency - how? what magic school from where?
- Unlocks two signature spells - so unless you pick this title you can't have any signature spells? and i presume 2 is the maximum you can have?

Sorry if being stupid, I just find it confusing.

@Oriphus
It means that there are 10 titles, 1 for each magic school. And each of them will have the following properties:

So if you choose 1 magic school, you get +12 for it's potency and -4 to everything else. If you get 2 magic schools, you get +8 at each of them and -8 to everything else. If you choose 3 magic schools you get +4 at them and -12 at everything else.
Each school will have ONLY 2 spells that aren't available unless you have the title. So get the title, get the exclusive spells.

Also... why are Melee Haste and/or Iron Skin not Signature spells?

Instead... we have Earthquake as signature?! I am lost for words.

@Wyverex
No they aren't.
Earthquake and other spells are supposed to be reworked at some point to be good spells like eye rot, come hither, wof and others are. The question is when?!
  • Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:15:40 pm by Dunnin
Dunnin Dainstaff - Lux Arcana

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Ive literally reopend this thread and read the suggested title bonusses and weaknesses while shaking my head over 10 times already.
Beyond me how this is what came out at the end of it, how do you see this play out given the current meta situation and the (hopefull) increase of combat scale to come.

You cant honestly think that robes will be a viable choice, especially now that every source of damage is getting buffed.
And escape abilities are being taken away from you, or you cant melee or disable.
Which...i know you want to avoid melee anyway, but its not like you have a lot of choice in the matter when its a 20 v 20...

Reply #22
Fire knockups/eyerot new meta?
Also, @CeliahAiley just won darkfall. Meleepusher op.

Reply #23
Fire knockups/eyerot new meta?

Fire against metal? Nope... Water is much more likely. Debuff them, drain their stam and you're good to go!

Reply #24
Thanks Dunnin, was just starting to get it and you confirmed. Guess i am just slow ^^
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Reply #25
WHERE is the UI screenshot?

--------------------------------
noone would take this :D
Conservative Mage:
- Current reagent conservation skill
- -4 Overall Physicall potency

Reply #26
Water lost Toxic Rain, and has the slowest moving projectiles of all schools.
I seriously don't see Water being the top dog

But what do I know...

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

• Naos
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #27
Will the general "normal" damage/potency be nerfed before or along the patch? I think there were some hints in that regard. with the current potency being above that of a after title patch char which has no combat titles selected.

Reply #28
water has low casting times afaik

Reply #29
Water lost Toxic Rain, and has the slowest moving projectiles of all schools.
I seriously don't see Water being the top dog

But what do I know...

I said much more likely if you want to defend against heavies. Air is an alternative as well.. stam drain too, faster projectiles and better damage but slower casting.
These are just theories, reality will probably be different...