Skip to main content

Topic: Make InDev free to play- current system cant be effective (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic

Make InDev free to play- current system cant be effective
@Ub3rgames I think its safe to say InDev with its current population of pre-paid players has run its coarse of helpful information towards testing and input. What little information found in game now isn't even being communicated between the few players that are playing InDev regularly (myself included) or isnt confirmed by you guys so who knows what really works and doesn't .

Case in point~
Mino King- I'm part of the NA/EU alliance and nobody knew or found it posted anywhere that the single spawn mino king is back in game. I cruise over and its bugg'able still (posted bug report).

Ice Jarls- Thinking its bugged I post about how you don't always get a snow hide every skin only to find out a player had mentioned this months ago? @Eilistraee mentions in my bug thread this was being 'worked on months ago' but searching I can only find a vague reference to the spawn being 100% first guy and 50% second guy from eilistraee thats is not even confirmed by you guys?

You can make the holdings only be cap'able by InDev pre-paid players. Lets get the good and bad of free to play crowd in here and have a real InDev test server before launch.

edit- make free accounts unable to earn or use meditation points. Solves the problems about the people currently playing and our rewards for doing so.
  • Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:08:05 am by mezferic

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Make InDev free to play- current system cant be effective
Reply #1
that one mino king spawn was never turned off.
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #2
This is why we're cutting the feature creep.
For all intent and purposes, inDev is free and even is a way to save money and time for launch. It isn't a matter of paying.
The issue is that people are simply burned out. Persistence of efforts is needed. And for this, only the showdown and actual launch will start providing momentum again.

Minotaur king always had one active, and one that was being kept inactive by being linked to the one that was shut off.
It was turned on back again when we removed linked spawns.

For skinning:
Historically, the system meant that 100% chances is truly 100% only when you have 100 wisdom and 100 skinning.
We changed it so that if it is 100% then it forces a drop regardless of level. Other players have confirmed that it works this way.
Perhaps there is a rare bug though and we'll look into it.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #3
For all intent and purposes, inDev is free and even is a way to save money and time for launch. It isn't a matter of paying.
The issue is that people are simply burned out. Persistence of efforts is needed. And for this, only the showdown and actual launch will start providing momentum again.

Minotaur king always had one active, and one that was being kept inactive by being linked to the one that was shut off.

For skinning:
Historically, the system meant that 100% chances is truly 100% only when you have 100 wisdom and 100 skinning.
We changed it so that if it is 100% then it forces a drop regardless of level. Other players have confirmed that it works this way.

It wasn't the mino king spawn or the skinning per say, just examples that the InDev has grinded to a halt from an outsider perspective.

Glad to hear your cutting the feature creep! . Have to launch this thing at some point, if you guys could launch now and have the guard towers patch in the first 60 days you would be golden.

edit- @Ub3rgames  making it free to play during InDev (with no med points)  isnt what we have now, it would really open the doors to legitimate potential players that are just bombarded by a never-ending stream of unfinished games they are hesitant to throw down even a small amount like $10.
  • Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:23:35 am by mezferic

Reply #4
InDev is free to play. It's the two months of launch time you get with the InDev that you've got to pay for. :)

Reply #5
I don't see much value in allowing people to just make free accounts on an indev server except to give vets more free alts ;)

Honestly it would do more harm letting people with so little interest that they wont buy the client play an incomplete beta, just to allow people to create more free alts. There will be a free period when the major indev changes are complete just before launch and the pop should be high enough then to make the game feel more appealing than the current skeleton crew.

Most people need population even if its just for feel and right now people would just spawn in empty npc cities with little to keep them around and no buy in for launch. Even people who have purchased the client have a hard time maintaining activity for more than a couple weeks or a month and are waiting for the end of indev/launch anyway.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #6
InDev is free to play. It's the two months of launch time you get with the InDev that you've got to pay for. :)

@MaejohI @Ub3rgames InDev is not free to play. It's ridiculous that people continue to try to repeat rhetoric that game developers have been trying to get people to include in their daily vocabulary. Playing the latest CoD beta is free, if you had to pay cash before anything happened- it's not free.
I don't see much value in allowing people to just make free accounts on an indev server except to give vets more free alts ;)

Honestly it would do more harm letting people with so little interest that they wont buy the client play an incomplete beta, just to allow people to create more free alts. There will be a free period when the major indev changes are complete just before launch and the pop should be high enough then to make the game feel more appealing than the current skeleton crew.

Most people need population even if its just for feel and right now people would just spawn in empty npc cities with little to keep them around and no buy in for launch. Even people who have purchased the client have a hard time maintaining activity for more than a couple weeks or a month and are waiting for the end of indev/launch anyway.

This is another fallacy people repeat due to the Steam era of paid beta's. Open beta is to get as many people to play to find bugs and server load. You're always going to get a small percentage of people making secondary accounts, who cares about that, it's not about game population. If you can't get a sustained population testing your game from prepaid players you need to open it up to the free to play beta crowd.  If I can find a bug at everything I go to check out (mino, skins, and now a gold dup ), this is probably much buggier then we think. It needs people getting in here and screwing around with stuff.

Reply #7
Note that InDev was never meant as a beta.
it just was perceived like one by the people that came later and outnumbered the ones that initially asked for a vanilla server.
So we rolled with it, made it longer and removed the subscription price. But we still treat it as a soft launch, with considerations of semi permanence.

The free period will come in not too long, so we will get that kind of unlimited feedback again.
Though right now, we prefer to have only invested players to provide feedback because only invested players will know that the current state is still work in progress.
We still have a few core features set to come without which the game experience is incomplete.

Reply #8
The free period will come in not too long, so we will get that kind of unlimited feedback again.
I m waiting for that before buying

Reply #9
Like many. That's the concept behind having a free period when we launched and one again before the wipe. It will serve as a before/after for what was done during InDev.
People will get to see and feel how New Dawn is an improved version of Darkfall.

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10

For skinning:
Like many. That's the concept behind having a free period when we launched and one again before the wipe. It will serve as a before/after for what was done during InDev.
People will get to see and feel how New Dawn is an improved version of Darkfall.

I got back into the game after playing Rise of Agon, and i nust say the game (new dawn) overall feels smoother.

Main gripes were the UI changes. It would be nice to visually see the durability of items without scrolling over them. I also liked being able to change the size of my bank.

Also, 25 wisdom for alchemy? Just to make staves? Can we get this changed to 10? Or is there a reason for this.

I also thought village capture radius would be larger, but it seems you have to be right on it to cap it. Idc, im killing any makers i see because they could be spying.
  • Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:46:13 pm by Kenman

Reply #11
Note that InDev was never meant as a beta.
it just was perceived like one by the people that came later and outnumbered the ones that initially asked for a vanilla server.
So we rolled with it, made it longer and removed the subscription price. But we still treat it as a soft launch, with considerations of semi permanence.

Though right now, we prefer to have only invested players to provide feedback because only invested players will know that the current state is still work in progress.
We still have a few core features set to come without which the game experience is incomplete.

@Ub3rgames I understand all of that, which I thought was a great idea and really liked what you guys did with it.

Except now it -seems- like the amount of dedicated players still currently logging in is not a realistic amount to find the current bugs and give the proper feedback.  It's starting to make me wonder if some of the changes i talked about with people in game were in fact bugs and not changes. (like how it's pointless to cast unburden before self buffing because it automatically adjusts it once the unburden wears off along with the fact the amount self buffed auto changes if you wear a chest piece or robe along with what's in your hand).  And these are things that are in now, I can't imagine what's going to happen when you patch some of those bigger changes and you've got 15 people playing around with it when you really need like 50 for an extended period of time.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
selfbuffs updating their strength based on your gear you are wearing and the weapon you have equipped is not a bug but the intended behavior.

and there are still people around testing things. just because you don't notice them doesn't mean they aren't around
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #13
I bet Ub3rgames gets more feedback via direct messages than via public messages ;)
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]