Skip to main content

Topic: Editing key-bind UI file in Notepad to use any key/mouse function (pics) (Read 111 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing key-bind UI file in Notepad to use any key/mouse function (pics)
I see the "how do I bind [insert key bind wanted] to [inset function wanted] because the in-game UI settings dont let me do it?" question a lot here. This is a quick, easy to follow, anybody can do it break down. *with how to back-up your UI folder (holds all in-game settings per character) as well. Showing in Windows 10, but I "think" the file location is the same in Windows 7/XP

NOTE~ even if you were to screw it all up, deleting any of the folders below lets say, during the log in file check process Darkfall will rewrite any missing folders/files- setting it back to the default settings. So you do not have to worry about destroying your installed copy of Darkfall.

1- open file explorer and in the search window type "darkfallnewdawn", open (double-click) the "AppData/Roaming" location.

2- open the "character" folder

3- open the "0" folder

4- select/highlight the most recent folder (should be the most recent date, I suggest re-saving any bind in game to push the correct character folder to the top)
4a-"RIGHT-CLICK" AND DRAG TO THE DESKTOP, select "copy here" to back up the UI folder for the selected character. THIS IS YOUR MASTER BACKUP OF THE UI FOLDER THAT HOLDS ALL IN-GAME SETTINGS FOR THIS SELECTED CHARACTER

5- open the most recent folder #number and select/hightlight "input_persistence", "RIGHT-CLICK" and select "open in notepad"

6- with the "input_persistence" file open in notepad, you can just scroll down to the key bind you want or search by using "CTRL+F"

** the highlighted part between the "quotations" is the key input and what you will be editing.

EXAMPLE OF UI KEY-BIND ENTREE
<binding2>
      <Name Value="Gui_Weaponsbar_Scroll"/>
      <Binding Value="AXIS_Z_0"/>
    </binding2>

* the red is the only part you will be changing
** after every change you click in the upper left "FILE" and then "SAVE" to avoid mistakes
*** before closing the notepad, I suggest searching for the key-bind you changed (by using "CTRL+F" and typing the new key-bind in the search window, then searching up AND down) to avoid duplicate key bindings or forgetting to delete the default key bind

WORKING EXAMPLE
lets say you wanted to remap the scroll wheel to "colum row select" so you could scroll up and down the displayed colum with the wheel mouse. First you would-

1- search and find the key bind default for the mouse scroll wheel, in this case the weapon bar. Delete ONLY the text between the quotations (in red below)

<binding2>

so when finished it looks like this-

<binding2>
      <Binding Value=""/>
</binding2>

2- search and find "Gui_Hotbar_Row_Scroll" which has no default binding, as shown below

<binding92>
      <Name Value="Gui_Hotbar_Row_Scroll"/>
      <Binding Value=""/>
    </binding92>

and insert between the quotations the mouse wheel scroll key (you can cut/paste the key binding to avoid misspelling the key, which is what i suggest) so it will look like below

<binding92>
      <Name Value="Gui_Hotbar_Row_Scroll"/>
    </binding92>

and thats it. I'll try to answer any questions posted and update as necessary/if i missed any step or if its hard to understand. I use this a lot if I'm fooling around with my bindings trying new things.

• Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:17:06 pm by mezferic

Re: Editing key-bind UI file in Notepad to use any key/mouse function (pics)
Reply #1

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2

Reply #3

OK not really, Vim for life, but it seemed the appropriate response.