Skip to main content

Topic: Time to update moderation (Read 211 times) previous topic - next topic

Time to update moderation
Since the recent launch announcement there is spam advertising threads popping up on the forum, and with a lot of new people coming in some moderation is needed. It's no longer a forum only for us basement dwelling DFO vets and I think with that change it would be reasonable for the following

Add optional swear filter (by default on)
Spam prevention
Basic agreeable rules (not making 10 threads with Mycke in the title, look at op and it's not even a full sentence...)

Not asking for full on censorship, just some cleaning before we move into launch

Re: Time to update moderation
Reply #1
Devs have got enough on their plate without moderating the forums.

It's up to us to moderate our behaviour. And there's always the report button if you think a post goes too far.

Reply #2
Ye I reported them

Reply #3
While I agree that some of the community behavior is in some cases detrimental to attracting and maintaining new players, I don't see any of your three suggestions as a solution.

1. Profanity filters are not effective. Even if you try to manually police adjusted spelling to deal with people getting around them, they just get more creative in their methods of insulting people in less obvious but just as meaningful ways. Besides that it's all about context and intention, for example I don't see a problem with someone saying "this game is fucking amazing" where its used to emphasis a positive statement in support of the game, though there may be some issues with saying "XYZ is a fucking retard and they should be killed" where its used negatively. Even in the latter, the issue is not the swear word, its the intent to insult and incite violence.

2. Spam prevention. I'm sure there's already some basic level of spam filtering on the forum already (what modern forum platform doesn't), otherwise we'd truly be getting flooded (a website I manage has approximately 30,000 pending spam comments on it). And the few times I have seen something get through that's clearly spam, I've noticed it get deleted pretty quickly anyway.

3. Basic agreeable rules - not a simple thing to accomplish when you look at the diversity of opinions and attitude in this community. If the devs want to enforce something (for example one word threads or irrelevant posts get moved to off topic) then by all means that's their decision, but don't pretend that in an open world, full loot, city conquest game that already has such a history of clashes and arguments, that everyone's going to come together united on the forums to agree on moderation rules, or play nice and enjoy each others company, the clan discussion section in particular will never be like that, particularly when you consider the section description is "spread propaganda and entertain "friendly" rivalries" - that has a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.

With all of that said, section 8 of the terms of service we all agreed to on player conduct explicitly applies to not only actions in the game world, but also the forum, so the rules already exist, it's just reliant on whether the devs actually care to enforce them, or put other community members in a position to do so. Some highlights from the TOS are below:
  • You may not defraud, harass, threaten, or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players within the Game, the World or on the official DARKFALL: NEW DAWN web sites.
  • You may not post or communicate any player's real world information (name, address, account names, etc.) in the Game, the World or on the official DARKFALL: NEW DAWN web sites.
  • You may not use sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially or ethnically offensive language within the Game, the World or on the official DARKFALL: NEW DAWN web sites.
  • You may not post or link to any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially or ethnically offensive imagery or content within the Game, the World or on the official DARKFALL: NEW DAWN web sites.

Full terms of service: https://darkfallnewdawn.com/terms-of-service/

On a (mostly) unrelated side note, I happened to notice this section below, though I thought I remembered the devs saying they want to stay out of the ability to trade gank players, though I guess that comes down to how you define role-playing, food for thought.
  • You may not trick, cheat or defraud any fellow player out of game currency, items or any other in a game item of value, outside of the scope of in-game role-playing.

edit: found the stance they took on this, considering they mention social interactions I would assume it applies directly to the forums too:
  • Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:24:03 am by TimothyJB

Reply #4
Nothing is a full proof solution to the rainbow of human nature ;)

Little steps little steps, promote sportsman like attitude but not too much oppression that you dictate freedom

and yeah the part about social interactions is applicable to forums imo, it's just common sense, I can't remember the last time I read a post that was irrelevant to game politics, rivalries, events etc. Yeah sometimes it degenerates into insulting people mannerisms or logic but that's a part of social interaction and as long as it's relevant that's fine, ridicule and criticism progress us as individuals and as society so I would just categorize it as feedback. Besides social animals have self regulated for millions years, it's just up to big dog to set the tone.

Reply #5
Nothing is a full proof solution to the rainbow of human nature ;)

Little steps little steps, promote sportsman like attitude but not too much oppression that you dictate freedom

and yeah the part about social interactions is applicable to forums imo, it's just common sense, I can't remember the last time I read a post that was irrelevant to game politics, rivalries, events etc. Yeah sometimes it degenerates into insulting people mannerisms or logic but that's a part of social interaction and as long as it's relevant that's fine, ridicule and criticism progress us as individuals and as society so I would just categorize it as feedback. Besides social animals have self regulated for millions years, it's just up to big dog to set the tone.

Though to be fair, if you wanna use the animal analogy, most of the big dogs set the tone because of their displayed ability to kill the smaller dog, not because they're well-mannered or kind. Your arguments on human decency are much more important and effective.  :D

Reply #6
And the rules Timothy posted are not being enforced.

Reply #7

Darkfall isnt only a mmopvp the drama forum sometime that's where it all begins !

We dont need moderation.

• Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:13:42 pm by Zopek

Reply #8
Well you might think you don't but when you're left with the same 100 people in a dead game you will understand, happened already

• Giant
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
Moderating the forums is needed.
SG of Elitist Cuntz

Reply #10
Moderating the forums is needed.
Lets start with banning your clan's name then.