Skip to main content

Topic: DEVS! Are Runestones marking dis-abled or Gone for RELEASE!? Confirmation needed (Read 1493 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: DEVS! Are Runestones marking dis-abled or Gone for RELEASE!? Confirmation needed
Reply #75
I'm sorry to say that because I do like the idea of 'holidays'...

If people want a 'holiday' they should take a damn cruise!  That means get a ship!

Imagine people paying for ship rides. What a game that would be!
  • Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:12:42 am by Undepth

Re: DEVS! Are Runestones marking dis-abled or Gone for RELEASE!? Confirmation needed
Reply #76
To the left, to the left.
dodgy bastard

Reply #77
This discussion aside, can't wait for fast roads! Man that patch in UW made me really fall in love with that iteration of the game.

Reply #78
I'm sorry to say that because I do like the idea of 'holidays'...

If people want a 'holiday' they should take a damn cruise!  That means get a ship!

Imagine people paying for ship rides. What a game that would be!

@Ub3rgames imagine water currents that made ships travel faster through certain lanes and increased the odds of player interaction

Reply #79
Roads, water currents, specific winds are all things being considered.
BUT we prefer to see how trade picks up and how much margin of "speeding up" we have post release.

To explain:
We do fear that the world is already too small, and while "fast lanes" will narrow down the way to find players that want to travel quickly, that is an individual to individual interaction reasoning. In the overall system it may be counter productive to the economy.
After all, the whole value of local banking is in its inherent barrier of entry to acquire what's localized.

As a thinking point:
At what distance in time spent traveled will you prefer paying a premium for a resource?
That distance should ideally be between one end to another of a single racial land or of a sub-continent.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #80
there are 2 problems with why extensive trading on scale of 1 subcontinent or 1 racial land isn't going to work in the current state of the game.
the bigger one in my eyes is that there is for the most part not enough difference on what kind of resources can be farmed on such a small scale. yes there are a few specific spawns you are interested in but the majority of spawns are represented more or less over the whole continent.
for example take yssam, yes there are the rare ore golems and a few other mobs that have unique locations. but basically all other types of mobs, wild tribes, raptors, elfshades etc. can be found all over the subcontinent.

and the smaller problem is that traveling from one end of a subcontinent/racial land to the other one takes at most 15 minutes. but most points can be reached in less. and if you plan to farm the same spot for 1-2 hours then 20-30 minutes  total travel time isn't that bad.
who wouldn't travel 10 minutes from caxtla to the selentine golem spawn to farm it?
the bigger issue isn't travel time but the local residents might stop you from farming that spawn effectively.

let's stick to my ysssam example:
wouldn't it be nice for the caxtla clan to try to extend their effective reach by building a road network closer to the selentine golem so they can have an easier time to control that selentine golem? and would the mehatil and cbay clans want to abuse that road to get faster to caxtla or rather sabotage the road (blowing it up or using it to set ambushes?)

and i still think ships need a speed buff. they are all slower than mounts and often the route over water is not as direct as the route over land. and you have got to spawn and despawn the ship which also takes time.
i'd like to see ships being used in an organic and usefull way more. one niche i could see for them is as prefered methode for long distance travel.
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #81
need to wait loot Apocalypse, i hope devs will make sens to live on yassam, farm something special there and sell it on nifl, coz they cant take it there

Reply #82
BUT we prefer to see how trade picks up and how much margin of "speeding up" we have post release.

To explain:
We do fear that the world is already too small, and while "fast lanes" will narrow down the way to find players that want to travel quickly, that is an individual to individual interaction reasoning. In the overall system it may be counter productive to the economy.
After all, the whole value of local banking is in its inherent barrier of entry to acquire what's localized.

As a thinking point:
At what distance in time spent traveled will you prefer paying a premium for a resource?
That distance should ideally be between one end to another of a single racial land or of a sub-continent.

TBH for me it wasn't even about making travel faster it was about trying to find some way to emcourage/ funnel people into lanes

Especially at sea like no one has ever been like "yo lets take a boat out and try to find another player boat to pirate" in the history of Carkfall.

Sea combat both pvp and pve was done SO badly considering the potential it had. We had the assets the physics based openworld ,

Even Sea Towers were full retard and could eaSily have been improved by the following

1. Winner= which clan or party did the most damage rather than last hit
2. Rewards that scaled based on both the biggest ship size that damaged it and ideally the number of players in the Tile
3. The loot should have gone to the ship strongbox and had it be required to sail it back to safety (opportunity for more pvp/pirates)

Its not that hard and really makes me wonder if Aventurine was even trying

@ub3rgames im assuming you have plans for an expansion related to all this later on

Its another feature that no other game really offers and separates Darkfall

Oh and i would absolutely love to see Guild Tabards and Flags in game. Flags that can be carried on players, flown on ships, placed on player holdings, or watch towers

Id like to get rid of those clan/alliance/Enemy/ party dots over players heads that was NEVER suppose to stay long term i remember discussing it with Claus in 2008 beta

Distinguishing and organizing your group and being able to judge the tides of battle is a VALUABLE PLAYER SKILL

And just like logistics New Dawn needs to let it shine through

Reply #83
agree with @Battle Smurf; the idea of giving roads value by making them beneficial for movement is very appealing, further, it increases the chance for encounters in the world.

While I agree with you @ub3r about the size of the world, nobody I think would dispute that UW was a much smaller world, both in sheer size, and with the ease of teleportation. This one of the things I hated about the game. However, my experience with the game after they patched roads was that they made travel more meaningful and increased open world counters. They also made travel a little bit more fun because you had to manage your mount more effectively, and I was always more alert on a road scanning for potential contacts. 

Also, I think having fast roads will allow racial allies to respond to griefers more effectively. You could even consider making road speed buffs a blue-racial alignment territory buff.

One of my biggest gripes with Agon has always been that theres this incredible, beautiful terrain and tactical gameplay; but all of this terrain is constantly avoided or neglected because they have no strategic influence due to movement altering spells, low fall damage, lack of water current, and effectively just being a different aesthetic. Cliffs are jumped off of and scaled with ease...rivers have near-zero impact...a road might have some value if we didn't have a GPS built into our map, but as it stands it's just a different terrain skin...
  • Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:55:23 pm by Rokaroo

Reply #84
Also, I think having fast roads will allow racial allies to respond to griefers more effectively. You could even consider making road speed buffs a blue-racial alignment territory buff.

Please no, reds are going to get fucked enough, lets not reduce their mobility.

Reply #85
I somehow feel that everything will be done to nerf reds players to the ground. Sure , there was a blue/red issue on dfo , basically you didn't care at all and the whole alignment system was pointless.

But there is a difference between giving incentive to be/stay blue , and punishing reds just because they are not blue. Let's not do it the wrong way.

Reply #86
Darkfall players don't care much about incentives not to kill players, especially when that player is probably wearing a few hours or days worth of grinding.
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Reply #87

To explain:

As a thinking point:

TBH for me it wasn't even about making travel faster it was about trying to find some way to emcourage/ funnel people into lanes

Especially at sea like no one has ever been like "yo lets take a boat out and try to find another player boat to pirate" in the history of Carkfall.

Sea combat both pvp and pve was done SO badly considering the potential it had. We had the assets the physics based openworld ,

Even Sea Towers were full retard and could eaSily have been improved by the following

2. Rewards that scaled based on both the biggest ship size that damaged it and ideally the number of players in the Tile
3. The loot should have gone to the ship strongbox and had it be required to sail it back to safety (opportunity for more pvp/pirates)

@ub3rgames im assuming you have plans for an expansion related to all this later on

Oh and i would absolutely love to see Guild Tabards and Flags in game. Flags that can be carried on players, flown on ships, placed on player holdings, or watch towers

Id like to get rid of those clan/alliance/Enemy/ party dots over players heads that was NEVER suppose to stay long term i remember discussing it with Claus in 2008 beta

Distinguishing and organizing your group and being able to judge the tides of battle is a VALUABLE PLAYER SKILL

Damn your ideas make too much good sense, i wonder how hard or how easy the Devs can implement it provided they start making a profit off New Dawn release. It would not hurt the Devs later on if they need funding to ask for Developer status forum access to players who donate $500 usd or above so their ideas and advice is more takened priority by the DEVS over the bitches who think $14.99 a month gives them every right to demand shit lol. At a certain point i suspect only the combined money pool of hardcore darkfall 2009 fans can keep Darkfall servers up and running lol

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #88
Yes, lets bribe the devs to listen to you more.
There's no way that will cause issues

Reply #89

To explain:

As a thinking point:

Damn your ideas make too much good sense, i wonder how hard or how easy the Devs can implement it provided they start making a profit off New Dawn release. It would not hurt the Devs later on if they need funding to ask for Developer status forum access to players who donate $500 usd or above so their ideas and advice is more takened priority by the DEVS over the bitches who think $14.99 a month gives them every right to demand shit lol. At a certain point i suspect only the combined money pool of hardcore darkfall 2009 fans can keep Darkfall servers up and running lol

pay to develop, really?
Cause people who are successful moneywise in RL are for sure proper game developers ---- ofc there is not the slightest chance to turn df into pay to win game by that way .... right?

• Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:45:29 am by Heldana