Skip to main content

Topic: what are the comfirmed penalty for being Red ?  (Read 816 times) previous topic - next topic

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: what are the comfirmed penalty for being Red ?
Reply #15
The alt needs med points to begin with and you don't get anything from a killed character you just killed before
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

Reply #16
Finally the treehuggers can stop crying bloody murder about reds.
Ub3r has their system figured out, let them handle it.

I feel like everyone forgot the about that "track record" shit that would shit on your meditation points multiplier WELL after you returned to being blue, and took ages to get back to max.
I think people will be relatively well behaved for quite some time, because skill/stat gains gonna be nothing like they are in Indev. Therefor you'll be wanting to maximize them for a lot longer, specially if you lose them for dying to enemy race or whatever.

Well played ub3r.

• LRM
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
- Free to kill when red, which causes a feedback loop.

What is that supposed to mean ?
LRM - Epoch

Reply #18
The meditation is not farmable.
Time since last overall death and who killed  the player last factors in.
Also, low level characters or full blue characters from your alliance will not give anything.
And finally, if the character is already in debt it won't give anything.
Essentially, we thought about it. You'll get some minimal meditation once in a while but it won't be farmable.

Though we'll spend more time on that topic when we start the implementation.

@LRM
If you are red, you can be killed for free.
If you are attacked and defend yourself you lose alignment.
This is a feedback loop. The more you are red the more you are worth killing, the more you need to defend yourself, the more you become red.

The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #19

This is a feedback loop. The more you are red the more you are worth killing, the more you need to defend yourself, the more you become red.

This is a flawed system.  Reds should be able to defend themselves.  They could do so in ultima online.  Not really fair for someone who is trying to come back from red. 

Reply #20
Isn't that the point.  They don't you want you to be able to go red and come back. If you want to go red you stay red and life becomes hard.

Reply #21
Also, low level characters or full blue characters from your alliance will not give anything.
Essentially, we thought about it. You'll get some minimal meditation once in a while but it won't be farmable.

@LRM

@Ub3rgames So for new players who go cowboy red without understanding the rules your idea is to take their bank and make them unable to defend themselves as they attempt to get back to blue?

Reply #22

@LRM

@Ub3rgames So for new players who go cowboy red without understanding the rules your idea is to take their bank and make them unable to defend themselves as they attempt to get back to blue?

To go red you have to do more than one kill and gank and anyone who does more than one deserves to be red.

Reply #23

@LRM

To go red you have to do more than one kill and gank and anyone who does more than one deserves to be red.

Totally agree, but its one kill/gank and loot gets you to -12. (-8 for the kill and -4 per gank and looting the gravestone ? Can't remember if it was opening or looting) or 2 kills in a siege

I'm all for punishing same race killers in a racial war game. I don't  understand the need for all the extra layers of extremism, You got like 10 different penaltys listed there going against a red player with one avenue of return. The punishment should equal the ease of killing a blue during a siege because till that 'grey zone' is put in for siege stones it's going to be easy as fuck to go red.

Reply #24
@mezferic siege against someone you are at war with, no alignment loss. As for the rest, a new player will quickly know what red means when they attack someone, turn grey and get zapped.

Reply #25
@mezferic siege against someone you are at war with, no alignment loss. As for the rest, a new player will quickly know what red means when they attack someone, turn grey and get zapped.

but you are not at war with their allies or alt clans.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #26

1. Fighting for a spawn there will be no towers....and no clear information in game currently about alignment when starting the game

2. Designated 'grey area' around siege stones/cities is still only in their plans. Till it's in game sieges are going to be 2009 aligmnent shit-shows.

Reply #27
A personal story from my life as a noob early indev. When I started playing I went red (in the NPC capital starter dungeon of all places) because I didn't understand the consequences, the guy was just being a jerk trying to block my way out and get me killed by mobs. I figured its a hardcore open world PvP game, and spent the next couple minutes getting my first (I think) real world kill and gank. It's not until I ported out of the dungeon and started getting instantly zapped by towers that I actually knew I fucked up. Having a message pop up saying your racial alignment has decreased, or a red/gray bar under your stats with no text on it to explain what it is, means literally nothing to a new player when there's no in game information explaining any of it.

The following couple days was an ordeal of not knowing what the consequences were, having no idea how to turn myself back blue until I started google searching and finding information on the old DFO website which I just had to hope was up to date and still relevant for this game, then which cities have churches (turns out its only one per continent), had no idea which banks I could visit without getting zapped (there was no clear distinction between outposts and chaos banks on the map), and didn't even have extra mounts in my bank because they kept getting stolen in NPC cities (woops, lol). The point being if I didn't get in voice comms with a clan member to have them explain to me what was going on, that would've easily been one of the quitting moments for me, and I almost did anyway.

There's a chance (yet to be seen) they'll fix a lot of the flaws in the engagement and alignment system so that people won't go red accidentally due to a flaw in the system, people intentionally trying to get themselves hit to flag you gray in a crowded mob spawn, abusing blue alts at sieges, etc - but they're still going to do it intentionally not knowing the consequences until the new player experience is improved to show players the right way to act and why. The darkfall name is well known as being a constant pvp gankbox type of game and nothing has been done to change that impression for players that don't know better. So for all the people that think the only way to go red in this game is going to be vets who fully understand the long term consequences of what they're doing, you're just plain wrong, and things that make it difficult to recover from a mistake (ie not being able to defend yourself on the long and dangerous way to the church) seems unnecessarily punishing. We should give players the benefit of the doubt and guide them to return to the good side (more churches would be another good addition on that front), no reason for that to be so punishing, or at the very least explain the system properly - the pop up tutorial that was added to the game so far is pretty trashy, information overload, and frankly incorrect in some areas.
  • Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:20:59 pm by TimothyJB
TimothyJB NewDawn
Supreme General of Seek and Destroy, previously of The Crimson Brotherhood
Dedicated clan lag switcher and founder of the SaltyBitch™ club

Darkfall will never succeed without local banking kangaroo mounts

Reply #28
@mezferic If you are sieging an enemy you lose no alignment. What are you talking about?

Reply #29
@mezferic If you are sieging an enemy you lose no alignment. What are you talking about?

Eilistraee "but you are not at war with their allies or alt clans."

Your clans sieges must be just an amazing display of leadership