Skip to main content

Topic: Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game. (Read 1572 times) previous topic - next topic

• XiaN
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game.
Reply #15
i hear if you dont use your powerhour on cooldown every single day for the rest of your life the universe will collapse.

unless you're just after a keyboard warrior brawl, you didn't listen carefully enough - i don't want powerhour in the game, so your ridicule is not really hitting home. thanks for the effort though to diss me.

im not trying to diss you. im trying to tell you that you overreact. everything is frontloaded here so the higher you get in stats/skills the more diminishing return kicks in. there are no jumppoints here either.  it doesnt matter if you miss power hour a few days cos in a month everyone will be fairly close to each other even if it appears different when comparing raw numbers on the char sheet and the more time passes the smaller the difference will be.

but i do agree the mechanic is bad and unessecary since there is a commonly used superior concept called rested xp that is beeing used in MMO´s since like forever.

Reply #16
Power hour gives motivation for daily pve, its not just for catching up of casuals imo..
I like the idea of rested xp. But additional to powerhour not instead, as ph has its own purpose.
--------------------------------------------------
Ingame: Ori Ori

Reply #17
Power Hour gives a little more control than Rested Exp though.  If I log on and want to do casual Mining or smelting ore, I don't have to use my Rested Exp on that.  I'll trigger Power Hour exactly when I'm ready.

Then again, getting PvPed while on Power Hour can be extra painful.  Rested Exp would be unaffected.
  • Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:38:01 am by Rimamok

Reply #18
Rested EXP > Power Hour IMHO

Reply #19
I'm not sure power hour was ever intended to bridge the gap between the hardcore and casual gamer. being able to stack power hours as the OP suggests would widen that gap further not narrow it.

If the goal was narrow the gap between the power gamer and the casual, make the game less grindy, the solution would be to put a weekly cap on skill and attribute gains.  Most of the current player base would hate that idea.... but if that's your goal that is one of the solutions.

Reply #20
Honestly the power hour thing keeps people coming back and loging in. So it's a good thing and good for casuals. But the bad part is it's feeling like a chore or part time job having to come back every day. Would be cool if you could bank. As it is now you can pop a power hour than log out and do it the next day and use that days power hour I believe.  But ya personally I'd prefer no power hour. That's because than I won't feel obligated to log on every day at a certain hour.

Reply #21
Dailies is almost an archaic mmo concept nowadays, this shit feels like a chore.
Closing the gap for casual players it did not, it has the opposite effect rather right now.

A more sane approach would have been a point system that regenerates passively over time and is drained on every XP earned. Such a system would address the requirements of casual players (limited playtime) while not putting hardcore grinders at a disadvantage.

Look at Rain, he logs off just to meditate... that system would promote not logging in.

Only single issue with PH is, that it affects crafting. Having incentive to log in every day and farm is very beneficial to the game.

• Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:10:25 am by Eilistraee
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #22
the bad part is it's feeling like a chore or part time job having to come back every day. [...] But ya personally I'd prefer no power hour. That's because than I won't feel obligated to log on every day at a certain hour.

that's also a point i was trying to make here, parks. totally agree.

Reply #23
For those who can't play every night, one trick is, on a night you can't play, log on for 20 seconds and trigger power hour.  Then the next play session you'll have a power hour, and immediately be able to trigger the next one if you so choose.
Confirmed works

Reply #24
Dailies is almost an archaic mmo concept nowadays, this shit feels like a chore.
Closing the gap for casual players it did not, it has the opposite effect rather right now.

A more sane approach would have been a point system that regenerates passively over time and is drained on every XP earned. Such a system would address the requirements of casual players (limited playtime) while not putting hardcore grinders at a disadvantage.

thats called rested xp and yes its infinity times better than PH. dno why they had to try reinvent the wheel and made it a square instead when a much superior concept already existed since the beginning of time.

ESO had a system pretty much exactly like that and it worked well for me. There was buffer of double exp that built up over time and stacked to quite a big amount. You either spent it every day for your levelings, or did it something like once a week.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
I don't sleep well unless I've spent my power hour wisely. And if I get jumped while on power hour, my kids get grumpy daddy
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #26
I love power hour because it gives me more gains. I hate power hour because it makes me not want to grind without power hour.

Same thing happened to me in BDO, power hour just made me not want to grind outside of it because it just wasnt as effecient as id like it to be.

Reply #27
I love power hour because it gives me more gains. I hate power hour because it makes me not want to grind without power hour.

Same thing happened to me in BDO, power hour just made me not want to grind outside of it because it just wasnt as effecient as id like it to be.

I think that's definitely the mindset that had caught on in most clans.

Constant better skill gains would be better imo .

Reply #28
Are you out of mind? Tyhe grind is already unabreable enought

Dude, i mean this to be insulting, go back to preschool and acquire some basic reading + comprehension skills. My critique of the power-hour system wasn't that it makes skill ups too fast; Rather that it was forcing (aka humongeously pushing players by game design) people to spend their time in a specific way and also logon to specific hours.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #29
Are you out of mind? Tyhe grind is already unabreable enought

Dude, i mean this to be insulting, go back to preschool and acquire some basic reading + comprehension skills. My critique of the power-hour system wasn't that it makes skill ups too fast; Rather that it was forcing (aka humongeously pushing players by game design) people to spend their time in a specific way and also logon to specific hours.

You are right, i misinterpreted you message. I agree in part with your last sentence, increase the gain to 25% or 50% for both skills and stats for everyone BUT mobs should spawn more often, the downtime and timesink is already very high even in low level spawn. Is a pain wait minutes for mobs to respawn, is a waste of time.
The grind is already high enought for a ffa pvp open world game, people have a life and family and can't handle to grind so much, the frontload also don't work, no matter what you do, the gap is very high expecially for people who play more. Meditation also is very too slow. Titles should require 1 month to max not 2. Jm2c.
  • Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:40:44 am by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues