Skip to main content

Topic: Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game. (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game.
Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game and it doesn't even help every casual player with little time available.

So, first off, let's look at the direct impact the Powerhour mechanic has inside the game:

- It rewards a very specific type of player: A player that is available to or wants to play PvE for an hour every single day, seven days a week. Doubling the amount of effective playtime spent (so 14 effective hours playtime per 7 hours spend because of 2x xp gain)
[in comparison: A player available once per week to spend
- It makes gathering in a large group to pve with powerhour once a day mandatory for competitive players to not fall behind others. Solo PvE is great for bank, horrible for gains.
- to add to the previous point; players that want to focus on pvp more also get pushed hard into the direction of doing 1 hour of pve in a large grp once per day. Sure they can still decide to not do it, but will be severely disadvantaged.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you want to make the game less grindy, make it less grindy, don't jump on the 'occupational therapy', train people like dogs to login daily  (like in WoW or Farmville) train. Sorry to swear, but it is disgusting and has no place inside a game that - still - calls itself a sandbox mmo.

Possible alternatives to the current Powerhour mechanic:

- Make powerhour stack to 3 charges, so people that don't want to or can't spend an hour pveing every single day every single week have the alternative of doing 3 hours every 3 days.
- Make powerhours weekly having in mind shift workers and other people that cannot login to the very specific (1hour/22hours/7d) scheme as of now.

or the superior of the 3

- Remove powerhour, increase all gains by 25%, reduce mob respawn rate on not leveled up mobs significantly

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game.
Reply #1
i love my power hour
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #2
This is DND, not any other iteration of DF. Everything is slower, and more local. It is the way it is.

Reducing the grind is completely off the table. ROA did that, look what happened there, sounds like you want ROA, go there.

This is DND, not any other iteration of DF. Everything is slower, and more local. It is the way it is.

Reply #3
Some good points. Power hour for sure made gap between casuals and hardcore players bigger. Not everyone is playing every day. Because of ph casuals lose more than they would without it in the game. But I guess in the future it will allow new players to catch up faster.

But I think it should be available twice a week. Another oversight by devs.

Reply #4

And Ub3rgames said; It is the way it is, and it was. 8)

Reply #5
For those who can't play every night, one trick is, on a night you can't play, log on for 20 seconds and trigger power hour.  Then the next play session you'll have a power hour, and immediately be able to trigger the next one if you so choose.

Reply #6
Dailies is almost an archaic mmo concept nowadays, this shit feels like a chore.
Closing the gap for casual players it did not, it has the opposite effect rather right now.

A more sane approach would have been a point system that regenerates passively over time and is drained on every XP earned. Such a system would address the requirements of casual players (limited playtime) while not putting hardcore grinders at a disadvantage.
Je suis un écureuil
Your friends are less important than the future of Darkfall.

• XiaN
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Powerhour is the worst (anti-sandbox) addition to the game and it doesn't even help every casual player with little time available.

So, first off, let's look at the direct impact the Powerhour mechanic has inside the game:

- It rewards a very specific type of player: A player that is available to or wants to play PvE for an hour every single day, seven days a week. Doubling the amount of effective playtime spent (so 14 effective hours playtime per 7 hours spend because of 2x xp gain)
- It makes gathering in a large group to pve with powerhour once a day mandatory for competitive players to not fall behind others. Solo PvE is great for bank, horrible for gains.
- to add to the previous point; players that want to focus on pvp more also get pushed hard into the direction of doing 1 hour of pve in a large grp once per day. Sure they can still decide to not do it, but will be severely disadvantaged.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you want to make the game less grindy, make it less grindy, don't jump on the 'occupational therapy', train people like dogs to login daily  (like in WoW or Farmville) train. Sorry to swear, but it is disgusting and has no place inside a game that - still - calls itself a sandbox mmo.

- Make powerhour stack to 3 charges, so people that don't want to or can't spend an hour pveing every single day every single week have the alternative of doing 3 hours every 3 days.
- Make powerhours weekly having in mind shift workers and other people that cannot login to the very specific (1hour/22hours/7d) scheme as of now.

or the superior of the 3

- Remove powerhour, increase all gains by 25%, reduce mob respawn rate on not leveled up mobs significantly

i hear if you dont use your powerhour on cooldown every single day for the rest of your life the universe will collapse.

• XiaN
  • [*][*]
Reply #8
Dailies is almost an archaic mmo concept nowadays, this shit feels like a chore.
Closing the gap for casual players it did not, it has the opposite effect rather right now.

A more sane approach would have been a point system that regenerates passively over time and is drained on every XP earned. Such a system would address the requirements of casual players (limited playtime) while not putting hardcore grinders at a disadvantage.

thats called rested xp and yes its infinity times better than PH. dno why they had to try reinvent the wheel and made it a square instead when a much superior concept already existed since the beginning of time.

Reply #9
For those who can't play every night, one trick is, on a night you can't play, log on for 20 seconds and trigger power hour.  Then the next play session you'll have a power hour, and immediately be able to trigger the next one if you so choose.

so buffs stop ticking out when logged off? o.O

Reply #10
i hear if you dont use your powerhour on cooldown every single day for the rest of your life the universe will collapse.

unless you're just after a keyboard warrior brawl, you didn't listen carefully enough - i don't want powerhour in the game, so your ridicule is not really hitting home. thanks for the effort though to diss me.

Reply #11

or the superior of the 3

???

You don't have to log out after your power hour ends, you can use it anywhere in PVE or gathering or crafting so it's actually very sandboxie. I'm at 62 polearm with two Power hours working in and out of random people passing by while I was on randomly solo, and just playing the game with three sessions for the polearm total.

And like people stated before,  you can trigger it and then log off and come back the following day at the same time to start your second power hour since it's targetable and stays when you log off.

You're literally wrong on every point you listed. It's a MMO, not a a temporary server that ends in 30 days
  • Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:14:32 am by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #12
You're literally wrong on every point you listed. It's a MMO, not a a temporary server that ends in 30 days

You sure dude? IDK...

Reply #13
You don't have to log out after your power hour ends, you can use it anywhere in PVE or gathering or crafting so it's actually very sandboxie. I'm at 62 polearm with two Power hours working in and out of random people passing by while I was on randomly solo, and just playing the game with three sessions for the polearm total.

And like people stated before,  you can trigger it and then log off and come back the following day at the same time to start your second power hour since it's targetable and stays when you log off.

where exactly did i say you'd had to log off once power hour ends?

why does a mmo need a daily login mechanic like wow or lineage mobile has?

You're literally wrong on every point you listed.

where and how? are we just gonna say that and win the argument on here? is that how it goes? guess what: "you're wrong on everything very obviously cause #iamverysmart"

Reply #14

so buffs stop ticking out when logged off? o.O

Not sure about buffs in general, but Power Hour for sure stays on.

I think your points are valid. I agree that Power Hour feels a little "gimmicky" and not sandboxy or immersive.  That being said, I personally feel it adds a little more than it takes away.  I find it gives me some incentive to log on most nights, but although I cant play on weekends I don't feel that "I'm falling behind because I can't use power hour each night".  Sure, Power Hour ain't perfect but I think it serves its intended purpose adequately.