Skip to main content

Topic: Reagent Farming - Best Mobs / Feedback? (Read 697 times) previous topic - next topic

Reagent Farming - Best Mobs / Feedback?
Just a quick query as there's no accurate loot tables and the loot that currently drops from monsters is very askew.

I'm looking at maximising my air magic and of course the school itself is centred around Mandrake which used to be very cheap (4g herb from vendor) and was sold in bulk for roughly 2g a pop but now it seems to of become one of the hardest reagents to get with the more expensive reagents (Bone/Ashes/Sulfur) being more common and easier to obtain than any other. The issue with this is that Fire Magic is the meta school and Necromancy has quickly taken over Arcane as the second best because all the utility spells in Arcane (Wall of Force, Spell Reflect, Hasten Spells) have been made into title and GM related and besides those three spells, Sacred Missile / Lend Mana / Virtuous Wrath don't bring enough use to make levelling into Arcane as worthwhile. I can't be expected to bulk travel to every marketplace in the game that I'm blue-aligned to just to *hope* that mandrake is being sold for a reasonable price.

I would suggest for one, that having all of the blue markets & chaos markets being viewable at once (e.g. Mahirim and Ork / Human, Dwarf & Mirdain / Alfar) to become a thing and would allow purchase from any zone, this purchase would be made instantly using either local or global gold; however the buyer would have to travel to that selected zone to collect the loot, this would encourage more people to hang out in chaos cities a bit more as their markets would be accessible to ALL classes, on the other hand it can also influence PvP and gankers as people will be waiting for people to collect their loot and will likely kill them after collection, maybe clans can dominate chaos cities and act as enforcers perhaps?

As for the actual mobs, there seems to be a huge dividend between drops where a Celestial that dies in about 12-13 cursed bolts can drop 80-150 reagents, but some mobs that take hundreds drop similar or hardly anything worthwhile? This has been showcased in many previous threads but does anyone have accurate loot tables for certain reagents so I can bulk farm it myself?

TL;DR - Getting a specific reagent is a pain, I want Mandrake, what drops Mandrake the most, Air Elementals? Nahdruks? Akathars? Windlords? Also fix marketing with click n collect system

Arkillion Asura

Re: Reagent Farming - Best Mobs / Feedback?
Reply #1
Air Eles, Windlords, Forest Golems, Oaklords

Also, you can use in-game map's search ;)
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #2
Yeah... no

Naming monsters that drop mandrake doesn't make it useful for me, I need to know quantities, I'm not going to spend 100 sulfur to kill a Forest Golem so it can drop me 20 mandrake, it'll be Gardorocs all over again

Also how does suggesting the in-game map search help me? It doesn't show or tell me the loot tables of the mobs as well as the quantity of items dropped? Ecks Dee xD

Arkillion Asura

Reply #3
Meditate air magic while you use your secondary magic or whatever to farm mandrake or gold to buy it from vendor/market/trade.  When you have a nice mandrake supply, use air magic to farm gold or trade goods for more mandrake.  Change meditation how you want, this is just a method.  Making friends with a harvester or someone willing to trade their mandrake all the time helps too.

Personally, I make sure I have enough before I grind a magic.  I hate having to stop because I'm dry on the primary reagent.

Windlords are probably ideal except they're immune to air. 
BOS7

Reply #4
Meditate air magic while you use your secondary magic or whatever to farm mandrake or gold to buy it from vendor/market/trade.  When you have a nice mandrake supply, use air magic to farm gold or trade goods for more mandrake.  Change meditation how you want, this is just a method.  Making friends with a harvester or someone willing to trade their mandrake all the time helps too.

Personally, I make sure I have enough before I grind a magic.  I hate having to stop because I'm dry on the primary reagent.

Windlords are probably ideal except they're immune to air. 
Can't meditate air magic because it's like 0.4 skill per hour and I can get that 0.4 skill in less than a few minutes, meditating anything but stats right now (mostly Quickness) is completely pointless, the only one worth meditating is Archery and even that's a slippery slope.

Herb gatherers won't farm enough mandrake to supplement me with thousands of mandrake, even offering to sell arrows for mandrake is coming up short :(

Used to be so much easier with the vendor, I need like 15k-20k mandrake to farm up my Air Magic completely but getting that seems to be almost impossible, went through most of the mahriim markets and it's dry for reagents but completely stocked with weapons... thanks mahirim crafters?! :(

Arkillion Asura

Reply #5
Also how does suggesting the in-game map search help me? It doesn't show or tell me the loot tables of the mobs as well as the quantity of items dropped? Ecks Dee xD
it does
you just have to look up each material/drop on its own

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
According to our mages, Mandrake is the lowest quantity reagent drop, being only about x10 the drop quantity of arrows, while the other five reagents are at least x20 more easily available.

Should you desire other reagents, I recommend Stormgraives.

Reply #7
Yeah... no

Naming monsters that drop mandrake doesn't make it useful for me, I need to know quantities, I'm not going to spend 100 sulfur to kill a Forest Golem so it can drop me 20 mandrake, it'll be Gardorocs all over again

open map
type mandrake into the search box
zoom map out
if you do not see anything, press tab
map shows you drop chance and base quantity (prespawnscale)

Reply #8
Yeah... no

open map
type mandrake into the search box
zoom map out
if you do not see anything, press tab
map shows you drop chance and base quantity (prespawnscale)

not sure why this has never been mentioned before would of been rly  useful to know tbh, thanks :)

Arkillion Asura

Reply #9
Not sure how I feel about regs at the moment. Hate the idea of having to melee stuff as a caster just to be able to save up enough regs to go all out un group events. Everything went to shit when I started using spells that cost more than 1 reg lol.

Reply #10
while the map is very useful for this, I and several others have encountered instances where it doesn't actually show all sources of a given material. For instance, you could search sulfur or bone and it wouldn't show trolls as dropping it (can't check now, so maybe this has been fixed, but was a problem last time I  tried)

Still useful, but take the results with a grain of salt, at least for the time being

Reply #11
Ummm... I have not farmed with Melee at all, only with magic, and I have over 5k of each reagent in bank.

Only mandrake is a problem.

PS for anyone complaining about arrows - afk gather and craft 'em.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12

So instead of playing the game you want me to afk? Riiiiight.

Reply #13

At the current market price of mats, at least in my local markets, you would be better off selling the raw materials and buying arrows from vendors

Reply #14
In Alfar Lands, it's still cheaper buying ingots + wood and crafting arrows than buying arrows from vendors.

And I'm not about to tell anyone how they should play, but I'm fucking sick and tired of people complaining "it's hard to get arrows and metal armors" when both can be farmed AFK (not saying you should, just saying you can)