Skip to main content

Topic: screen keeps freezing (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

screen keeps freezing
After some time games starts to freeze. FPS goes from 150+ to 0 for a moment and goes up. The longer I play with this the more often it starts to happen. It forces me to relog. Which is super irritating with recent problems with login server, but login server issues aside, this is simply irritating. If I run two clients, only the main one gets this. Alt is still working fine. Most of the times happens during intense PvE sessions.

When I quit the game with screen freezing it takes much longer and then my changes are not saved (gui changes, etc).

What is going on @Ub3rgames ?
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:04:59 pm by wildNothing

Re: screen keeps freezing
Reply #1
After some time games starts to freeze. FPS goes from 150+ to 0 for a moment and goes up. The longer I play with this the more often it starts to happen. It forces me to relog. Which is super irritating with recent problems with login server, but login server issues aside, this is simply irritating. If I run two clients, only the main one gets this. Alt is still working fine. Most of the times happens during intense PvE sessions.

When I quit the game with screen freezing it takes much longer and then my changes are not saved (gui changes, etc).

Nvidia Experience.  Search for it on DF forums.

Reply #2

I reverted to drivers Raap linked and the problem is still there
ub3rgames - please help

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3

Never installed it! I can confirm, this is happening to a few of us in my clan.

Everything is smooth, then after an hour or two, the game goes to pot. FPS goes from 200+ to 1 FPS for a second or two, then back to normal. This repeats until relog.

@Ub3rgames it's not Nvidia experience (I don't have it installed) it's not keyboards. (Using the same keyboard that I was using InDev)

I'm using Shader Catch on @wildNothing are you?

I'm at work so can't test if it's that! I know that use to cause shuttering on older drivers, but was fine now!

This is affecting at least 4 of us in my clan!
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:12:04 pm by Giant
TooLate TheHero - LFC till I die

Reply #4
Check running processes when it happens.  Maybe something else is causing it?

-edit- u say relog fixes it.. so nvm

Maybe it's part of the world you're at?
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:16:23 pm by Mordisk

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I'm using 1070ti with GSync 240hz monitor!

Reply #6
I'm using Shader Catch on @wildNothing are you?
Not sure what Shader Catch is, don't think I'm using it.
I tried with old drivers, new drivers, with or without NE - no change. It started not so long ago. Had none of it during inDev I think. But I have not done almost any pve for the last few months of indev. While most of the times it happens on spawns now. When there is a lot of going on around - no matter if I'm alone or with a group.
After relog (same scenario, same spawn, people, etc) = 200+ frames, smooth. 1-2 hour later - relog needed.

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Shader cache is in Nvidia settings, it's on by default!

It uses a storage folder instead of ram for shadesrs!

Turning it off speeds up load times, but increases ram usage. I've just installed a new driver just before release, so I know it's been turned on. Going to test tonight and report back.

Reply #8
Did yo uchange any other of your settings?
If you had a windows update, it is possible that the XBOX DVR got activated and is causing issues.
If you reinstalled drivers, even if it isn't a buggy one, you may want to set the game in "performance" rather than "quality" in your nvidia panel.

Alternatively, do you perhaps alt tab more often than you did in InDev? Longer play sessions perhaps? More chat?
We know that alt tabbing is still a source of issues.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #9
Did yo uchange any other of your settings?
If you had a windows update, it is possible that the XBOX DVR got activated and is causing issues.
If you reinstalled drivers, even if it isn't a buggy one, you may want to set the game in "performance" rather than "quality" in your nvidia panel.
1. no
2. checked this already
3. checked this already

Alternatively, do you perhaps alt tab more often than you did in InDev? Longer play sessions perhaps? More chat?
We know that alt tabbing is still a source of issues.
Yes, I alt tab much more.

Does anyone with such problem also witnessed that it happens mostly when you pve? (a lot of effects on the screen)
My alt that is going at the same time and is alttabing exactly as often does not have such problems.

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Update:

I'm alt tabbing like a mad man, so I believe this is causing the problem.

With Shader Cache off, I didn't get the FPS drop to 1, but I did lose FPS over time. From 235 capped using RTSS to 80 FPS, after an hour or two at a lvl 20+ troll spawn.

Edit: Didn't alt tab, have SC off and still getting this fps drop after an hour of farming trolls!
  • Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:36:52 pm by Giant

Reply #11
Update:

With Shader Cache off, I didn't get the FPS drop to 1, but I did lose FPS over time. From 235 capped using RTSS to 80 FPS, after an hour or two at a lvl 20+ troll spawn.

Pretty sure, alt tabbing is causing it!
Tried 1 hour of mob spawn (power hour) without alt tabing, without my alt even logged in. Same thing happened (suddenly freezes began, more and more often - had to relog). It happened after only 40+ minutes.
@Ub3rgames can't play the game more than an hour when on mob spawn.
  • Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:35:33 pm by wildNothing

• Cro
  • [*]
Reply #12
Update:

Pretty sure, alt tabbing is causing it!
Tried 1 hour of mob spawn (power hour) without alt tabing, without my alt even logged in. Same thing happened (suddenly freezes began, more and more often - had to relog). It happened after only 40+ minutes.
@Ub3rgames can't play the game more than an hour when on mob spawn.

Same man... I now do not login to my alt anymore because I do not want to relog everytime I get hit with an FPS issue.

Reply #13
Update:
We have found quite a few memory leaks in the special effects system which will cause lag and crashes.
This may be what is causing your issues now that heavy farming with a lot of players is common.
We have fixes ready to go in QA and hopefully be patched tomorrow, maybe Friday, depending on stability.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #14
Update:
We have found quite a few memory leaks in the special effects system which will cause lag and crashes.
This may be what is causing your issues now that heavy farming with a lot of players is common.
We have fixes ready to go in QA and hopefully be patched tomorrow, maybe Friday, depending on stability.
Sorry, nothing changed for me. Freezes force me to relog after around 1h on mob spawn.