Skip to main content

Poll

Do you support this idea?

• Yes, it's a good incentive for race cooperation and raids
  • No, organic racial area raiding is enough
  • Not sure

Topic: Racial dominion (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic

Racial dominion
In the first weeks of the original Darkfall, players would use racial alliance chat to organize raids on other racial territories. This was one of the most fun new player experiences I had, infact it was one of the most immersive Darkfall experiences period.

I think Race V Race is an important aspect of the game which wasn't fully supported in previous iterations so it didn't get to fulfill it's true potential.

Racial conflict can happen organically with the new alignment system but I think if we had a mutual objective as a race instead of just punishment for being a traitor, it would give us an incentive to band together and meet other players to cooperate with. This would be extremely beneficial to new players just starting the game, giving them direction and a chance to meet friends to play with.

It can be as simple as taking the village system and modifying it to create racial capture points.

As this would be good for new players and in order to deter many veterans, I think it would be suitable to only give small rewards. This could include meditation points for everybody who is a part of the winning race - small amounts of extra gold and points for the participants.

Potentially this could eventually be expanded into a monarchy system (electing racial lords) where we win racial points and can use them for some kind of benefit in the future (options decided by the race lord).

This is a rough draft which can be expanded on, let me know your opinions.

Re: Racial dominion
Reply #1
I might be confused, but aren't racial warfronts already planned? Anybody got a link or more details?

Last I heard the latest version of the roadmap is to be published shortly after launch.
Duce Vonfossen in game.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
racial warfronts are planned. but they want to see first how intrusive they have to be. i.e. how much self organisation does the player base do to have their organically grown war fronts, and how strong do the introduced game mechanics have to be to promote racial wars.
it's after all a sandbox game and not a themepark game. so organically grown racial war fronts are better than "themeparky" ones
Bala Eregi - SG of Bewahrer der Welten

Reply #3
I assure I wont be the only racial clan leader who will periodically say in race chat "Invasion to XXXX lands in 20 min meet at xxxx if you want to go" and then with our clan as the core and a motley crew of random in tow charge into XXXX for blood, glory loot or death.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #4
I assure I wont be the only racial clan leader who will periodically say in race chat "Invasion to XXXX lands in 20 min meet at xxxx if you want to go" and then with our clan as the core and a motley crew of random in tow charge into XXXX for blood, glory loot or death.
Surely you won't just be going to enemy spawns, but rather aiming for other gank squads from other races, right?  Warfronts must do this.

Reply #5

Reply #6
In the first weeks of the original Darkfall, players would use racial alliance chat to organize raids on other racial territories. This was one of the most fun new player experiences I had, infact it was one of the most immersive Darkfall experiences period.

I think Race V Race is an important aspect of the game which wasn't fully supported in previous iterations so it didn't get to fulfill it's true potential.

Racial conflict can happen organically with the new alignment system but I think if we had a mutual objective as a race instead of just punishment for being a traitor, it would give us an incentive to band together and meet other players to cooperate with. This would be extremely beneficial to new players just starting the game, giving them direction and a chance to meet friends to play with.

It can be as simple as taking the village system and modifying it to create racial capture points.

As this would be good for new players and in order to deter many veterans, I think it would be suitable to only give small rewards. This could include meditation points for everybody who is a part of the winning race - small amounts of extra gold and points for the participants.

Potentially this could eventually be expanded into a monarchy system (electing racial lords) where we win racial points and can use them for some kind of benefit in the future (options decided by the race lord).

This is a rough draft which can be expanded on, let me know your opinions.

There is already a plan for racial warfronts.  I believe they said there would be 6 capture objectives along the borders of each race for racial enemies to fight over (like maybe farms, keeps, mines, etc).  There was also some talk about a racial reward system for participating in supporting your race in the war.  Also some talk about red players not being able to receive any of the racial reward benefits for fighting the war because they are criminals and shunned by their people.

That was off memory and is the best I can provide.

Reply #7
War Fronts

"War fronts will be our first effort at world building. This is the first system we create that will require us to create actual content rather than player interactions, as such it will be refined over time and will see many changes as we learn the tools and observe player behaviors. In short, war fronts are areas of the game that have special rules and will have objectives to capture in the name of your racial alliance. Those are zones where you cannot use instant travel to teleport in or out. Alignment gains and penalties are also doubled."

War front will be New Dawn's entry point for large scale PvP.
It will allow new player, casual or smaller group to experience large scale combat without the burden of war status.

Alignment gains and penalties are doubled on a war front.
War front will have capturable objectives
Racial war bonuses are only for "patriotic" players and payers of the same race of the territory or an allied race.
Blue players will be consider as "patriotic" when in the last 10 hours of game time he has gained "commission" by other means than player trade.
Commission is a currency designed to balance out our racial wars. You gain more when your faction is losing, but you have more racial buffs when wining.
Blue players may buy war bonds at their capital city and be considered patriotic for some time.
Blue players under the newbie protection are considered "patriotic" for the duration of their protection + the regular 10 hours
War front can be captured with Watchtowers, meaning that racial territory can be pushed forward by enterprising RAC clans.
ARAC clans or alliances can capture war fronts too, and will gain the buffs for themselves only instead of sharing it with a race alliance.

There will be two kind of fronts:
The borderlands war fronts, in between each racial homelands, providing buffs to a single race.
The central war front, in the middle of Agon, providing buffs to the whole racial alliance.

Each war front will have a specific amount of objectives to capture and the capture mechanics will be similar to the player holdings siege mechanics but with much smaller timers. We want the front lines to be stable enough for people to feel rewarded, but still see daily/hourly progress to not feel as a stalemate or a meaningless grind. These mechanics will be fine tuned as we get to play test them with the playerbase.

We intend to keep some interesting "no man's land" vibe in those areas. Seeing that back in the days is what inspired us for these systems. The chaos cities at the central zone will remain and the braves will still be able to go in and out and try to take down the high end mobs that live there. But now with added challenge.

Racial Wars Bonuses

The idea here is to motivate global cooperation through individualistic greed. As older games have proven, this kind of 3 way warfare works and is self regulatory if winning gives reasons for players to go out and use what they earned in other parts of the game. As always, keep in mind that all numbers are bound to change and are given as an illustration of the intent. A lot of the details are still up in the air.

Borderlands Racial War Fronts have for capturable objectives:
10 Supply camps: +1 drop on nodes for this racial land.
6 Guard Towers: +0.05 skillup modifier in this racial land.
3 keeps: +1% drop rate in this racial land.

The Center War Front has:
20 Supply Camps: +1 drop on nodes in racial alliance lands.
10 Guard Towers: +0.05 skillup modifier in racial alliance lands.
7 Keeps: +1% drop rate in racial alliance lands.

Which would result in a rounded up average(max) bonus in racial alliance territories:
+17 (40) items in harvesting nodes
+0.5(1.1) skillup modifier
+6%(10%) drop rate

Racial war bonuses are only for players that are considered "patriotic" and are on land owned by their racial alliance. A mahirim would get Ork land bonuses when in Ork land. So they can fight in those borderlands as well. A blue player is considered "patriotic" when in the last 10h of game time he has gained "commission" by other means than player trade. Commission points are a currency designed to balance out our racial wars, it is explained in the next page so keep on reading.

Alternatively, blue players may buy war bonds at their capital city and be considered patriotic for some time. (helping the war effort through a gold sink) Blue players under the newbie protection are considered "patriotic" for the duration of their protection + the regular 10 hours. (they are just "kids") Of course, players lose this state if they go red or are part of an ARAC clan/alliance.
  • Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:12:38 am by SoethThoth

And Ub3rgames said; It is the way it is, and it was. 8)

Reply #8
Thanks for the info. 

So the central warfront will be alfar vs wolves/orks with humans dwarves and elves picking up the scraps.

Reply #9
There should be a Battle ranking system like Planetside where you get military ranks depending on how much you help the war effort and cosmetic gear as well. Decorations for housings, holdings ect.

Could tie into the npc caravan system when adding fortifications to the racial pvp holdings, and players can contribute to build it up and clans can put claim and banners on their keeps like Guild wars 2 RVR keeps.
  • Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:14:54 am by IsilithTehroth

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Also some talk about red players not being able to receive any of the racial reward benefits for fighting the war because they are criminals and shunned by their people.

They chose to become reds KOS everything move so is their loss. Don't care about these people at all, red is a harsh and very difficult playstyle, is allowed BUT is a hell to play, only some very skilled and motivated players should do it, a rare path.
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues