Skip to main content

Recent Posts

General Discussion / Re: Darkfall DND Review
Last post by Niburu -
*REVIEW UPDATE*

Ambient Music and Sound Effects

I really can not believe I forgot this category in my original review but it is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Wither you are in town stocking up on supplies, walking across the countryside in the sunshine, or hunting trolls in the pitch black of night....the ambient music really absorbs me into the game I frickin love it! It seems like in each instance they have chosen such a fine musical score to truly immerse you in the moment.

The sound effects are also awesome, especially the sounds of other players, so many times I have been saved by having a keen ear, you can hear the pitter patter of a ganker if you listen hard enough and you can even locate them based upon their footsteps.

When I hear a mount in the distance clomping towards me I know to hide and wait for the eventual ambush.

The pull of my bow and the scream of my enemies is also something that I love to hear.

Hope everyone is having a blessed day.

While i agree i miss the enviromental sounds from Unholy Wars and the weather effects
I want to enjoy every aspect of this game with one character. I should not be required to have an alt in order to do so.
This game is largely a pvp game, and for me to be my best in combat, I need to fill as many slots as possible with combat titles. I am a melee/archer build so this is possible to fill all five slots.
All RPG have always been about choices and being able to do something at the cost of something else, either it being due to classes or skill-caps, but in no other game apart Darkfall everyone can do everything at the same time with a single character. So why should you be able to do it here?

And, anyway, even if they did give you more titles to use, the complains would still be exactly the same that we have now:
Make five combat slots and two crafting slots.
"I am not able to do all crafting with a single account and have to buy alts in order to craft everything myself. This is not fair, this is altfall...i should be able to do all crafting with a single character"
Make six slots total and allow only two/three crafting slots.
Same as above...you are getting what YOU would like to have, but are limiting other people choices by telling them they can't have more than 2 crafting....but i assume that is fine since this is not what you like to do and you are assuming that, since you don't like it, no one could possibly like it

Same as above but also allow laborer in place of a combat slot for the dedicated crafter
Same as above.

The fact that the title system doesn't allow you to have exactly everything you wanted to have in a single character doesn't mean that the system itself is wrong....well, actually, if anything, it demonstrates that it is finally forcing people to choose a path, which is something darkfall really needed.
The fact that many people use alts to craft is not a problem of dnd itself, it is a problem of the mentality of nowadays gamers which want to do everything on their own in an online game.
Every single MMO out there is filled with alts, no matter what systems you implement, just because of that. Damn, there are even people in "normal" MMORPG who play a whole party on their own and group with themselves all the time, bringing an healer, a tank and a dps and multiboxing because "it is needed to have all to exp fast".
That's a problem of the gamers, who prefer to play alone in an online game, not a problem of game mechanics.
General Discussion / Re: Darkfall DND Review
Last post by SoethThoth -
*REVIEW UPDATE*

Ambient Music and Sound Effects

I really can not believe I forgot this category in my original review but it is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Wither you are in town stocking up on supplies, walking across the countryside in the sunshine, or hunting trolls in the pitch black of night....the ambient music really absorbs me into the game I frickin love it! It seems like in each instance they have chosen such a fine musical score to truly immerse you in the moment.

The sound effects are also awesome, especially the sounds of other players, so many times I have been saved by having a keen ear, you can hear the pitter patter of a ganker if you listen hard enough and you can even locate them based upon their footsteps.

When I hear a mount in the distance clomping towards me I know to hide and wait for the eventual ambush.

The pull of my bow and the scream of my enemies is also something that I love to hear.

Hope everyone is having a blessed day.
I like title system, but feel it needs some tweaks. Weapons titles seem a bit over kill. They are doing away with Orc axe racial because they want orcs to use other weapons, but if you choose a weapon title, you are stuck with that weapon forever. NO continuity with that frame of thought.

This is not true, you can leveling up all weapon masteries you want, you just don't have the power bonus, WW and PA. I don't see why someone should use every weapon at maximum efficiency but probably it have to do with some old veterans mentality that using everything is the only way to balance the meta. This concept is hard to die but everyone will eventuallty accomodate to it once enought time is passed.
Media Highlights / Re: LEAVE AL'HALI ALONE
Last post by MNO -
NICE LADS NICE, SEND THEM MERICANS BACK FROM WHENCE THEY CAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Zlej4krdo
Suggestions / Re: Mage and PvP
Last post by Beoreturns -
Thread full of bad players whining about how bad mages they are. I have respeced from mage to meele archer since I like this playstyle more, but still leveling and meditating magic. Why? Because we are comming to the point where mages at least those who know how to get out of meele range starting to shine.
Ubergames please do not listen to these bad players who think they are dying because they play mage. Begone is a such a short CD spell and give such a big distance already that only really dumb mage get stuck on meele.
Dmg of magic is more than fine considering how easy it is to hit it.
Simple advice for whining mages here: get better in positioning yourself. You have tools to do it just fine. Stop asking for magefall #2.
With incoming better staves and magic changes you will be way above the top. Well mages crying here most probably not, but I will most probably spec to magic again. Even with meele archery titles and in archer gear I do quite good dmg and my magic is far from leveled up (65) air.
Problem of magic is that it is usually picked by bad players who expect its aoe's and knockbacks suplement their aim and lack of general pvp skills, allowing them to kite.
Fix knokcbacks so they work, but only direct hit should be k/b. Baddies who think all to get out of range is to run in straight line deserves to die.

You talking about baddies and bad players but i dont remember Gorf Ash being a great mage at all and here you are calling out others for being mediocre. Then you say dont listen Ub3rgames to these baddies but a few sentences later you suggest changing spells. You changed from mage to archer but still meditate it since it isnt good atm....

I cant take your opinion seriously at all, you contradict yourselve constantly. Get your facts together, think and then type instead of pullling incoherent sentences out of your ass.
How more wrong can you be?
1) Since I do not know your name I assume you are refering to Gorf Ash of Zagenda who is not me the original Gorf since I gave it to clan mate after quiting DFO and as I have heard it ended up in hands of Uien Zadf or whatever name of this way bellow avarage player was. So I agree with you dhe wasn't good at all. I would even say he was terrible palyer and as I have hear even terrible personality. Sorry last 2 years of DFO gorf wasnt played by me as I gave fully maxed character to some random clan mate.
2) I'm playing meele / archery because this is the playstyle I enjoy the most especially now, when DF is still ballanced at least a bit. And I'm leveling magic to be prepared when magefall no.2 will hit us same as it used to have in DFO where people without 5 pre-surged spells did not won the fight. I know pre-surges are long gone, but magic is becoming every day stronger and stronger as I see it in hands of skilled mages.
3) What is wrong on admiting trhat knockbacks need to get fixed. Should I deny what I know is wrong, I'm trying to be reasonable and knockbacks at the moment does not work as they should, but it still does not mean that mage is not viable.
Most people whining in this thread about magic would do more harm to themself specing to meele / archer than staying as mage. Most of them completely ignoring fact that mage can reset the fight whan ever he wants to, have fun trying to do that in plate even with unburden you are thrown half of what you are thrown in robe even without the titles.
Game should be balanced about top level players not some randoms crying here. And by randoms I mean even myself. There are videos mages totaly raping good meele players and videos of mages slaughtered by meele archer. I'm just saying that devs should not listen to people who die to good stickyback run on forums and crying that mage is weak.

Then i appologise, i really thought you were the gorf i knew from DFO. You do contradict yourselve in your post, i agree that some spells need improvement,  not because i want to whine but because i think it could make pvp more exiting and create more balance between melee and magic playstyles.
A lot a people seem to not want to understand that and start calling the one who does not agree bad players, i like discussing stuff and it doesnt bother me if people dont agree with me.
I told u from indev days to not accept him in clan and totally to not trust him.
U ignore my try to protect u.
Hope a better future for u.
Media Highlights / Re: LEAVE AL'HALI ALONE
Last post by Porch -
The first time I watched this I did so under the covers and muted before I got up to get ready to work so I didn't wake the wife. Now at work I watched it with volume and just lolz.
On some level, I find this awesome. Awesome to be able to stage a coup in a game. This, here, is a true political game.

I didn't know the founder, but yes, it must be hard, a big blow to the moral, quitting is understable, but not your only option. You claim to love politics, so it's time to form a new clan or join a new one, take with you all the members still behind you, and take the city, you have obviously generated a lot of sympathy, and would find free mercs easily.

All they really took by doing this was a TAG, some holdings and some items, if you were attached to the tag, sorry but you have to find a new one, the rest can be replaced.

You guys seem to think a clan belong solely to its founder, I disagree. It's harsh, but if the clan felt his leadership was no longer what they needed, who are we to argue? If it's something orchestrated by a minority, then the majority can leave the clan...

If some of you want to do something about it, you can always do it, siege them, grief them... that's the game!

The few interactions I had with those guys was them insulting me for no reason, so I got no love for them... But that's the game.

You can scam a bank, you can even scam a clan, let's the political game begin!
Picking on Lordrig like this is, is like beating up your 80 year old grandmother, it's parasite level. There's nothing awesome or good achievement about it, it's just sad as fuck.
But the damage difference from 40 -43 damage is about the same as the difference between using a BB and a cobra staff in DF 1, I believe.

Is there isn't a difference in damage output nobody sane will choose a title and everyone still back to be a hybrid, aka jack of all trades, aka one side build magefall.
They add titles for this reason, a permanent perk that define your own playstyle at the expense of others. This is the best system they come up, good like a hard skill cap wanted by so many people. This is the savior of DF and a departure from the crappy vanilla DF1.

if you think that this title system as it currently is will result in anything else than warriorfall you have absolutely zero clue how this game works.

im not against diversification at all but the way it is implemented and designed here it will not bring diversity. it will simply shift the meta to melee/archery. infact it already has. dont even come up with "mages are fine in a 20vs20 fight" it doesnt matter, its not even a factor. you dont balance a full loot open world pvp game in a zerg vs zerg manner. you balance based on 1v1 and go up from there. and in a 1v1 warrior vs mage, mages are complete dogshit atm.

Mages are not complete dogshit atm. I think it largely depends on the builds and character skill level, there are some mages that I can pretty much just straight line at and they do not do enough dmg to me. There is some that would just melt you if you did that to them.

sure but thats mostly due to char development gaps. mages got their most valuable control tool taken away with heavy armor protecting from knockup effects and on top of that essential skills are locked behind titles now (stormblast, magma, eye rot, WoF)
sure you could theoretically take all those titles and have them all but in original DFO you also needed to be able to stand your ground in a melee exchange even as a mage and you cant do that here at all. in original DFO the best destroyers would already slaughter mages and in this version its 10 times worse.