Skip to main content

Topic: Graphic settings (Read 290 times) previous topic - next topic

Graphic settings
Hi, I have installed the game again. While the graphics are pretty bad, the actual landscape still looks quite nice. But then I have found out that there is no way how to play with the initial graphic settings: the starter goblins and their bow shot animations are simply not visible. And with how z strafing and stuff is necessary for efficient combat, I have yet again turned shadows and vegetation off. And I guess this has to be an input from all the new players.

I have not been stalking this forums so I may be out of picture, but is there something devs are planning do with this? TBH unless shadows are highly toned down and/or some kind of outlines are done around character models (NAMEPLATES!!), we will yet again have to play a butt ugly game...

Re: Graphic settings
Reply #1
I think it's only shadows that affect FPS so badly?

Reply #2
It's not a question of FPS, it is a question of actually seeing something. You do not see mobs (unless they cast), you do not see arrows (due to the ton of shadows that mask them). They simply disappear in the clutter of grass and shadows. And as long as we can turn off the clutter, to be competitive, it will be necessary to do so.

Reply #3
What, you literally can't see them - or it's difficult to?

Reply #4
It took me about 4 seconds to find a starter goblin who was shooting at me, while otherwise they are clearly seen. Lets not jump into a trap of sophistry, I would get mangled by it with my leet english skills :) Regardless, I think the problem is clear...

Reply #5
Have to agree with this. Game looks way better with vegetation and shadows maxed BUT its simply impossible to play like that. Its so easy to miss monsters or players with those settings...

Now, if everyone would be forced to play with shadows, now that would be interesting :P they have to be toned down a bit tho... and there are many bugs with shadows... like in sunthrone where you got all those scary shadows from the top down in the cave...

Reply #6
It took me about 4 seconds to find a starter goblin who was shooting at me, while otherwise they are clearly seen. Lets not jump into a trap of sophistry, I would get mangled by it with my leet english skills :) Regardless, I think the problem is clear...
I wasn't trying to be clever - you're just not making much sense to me. I'm obviously being slow.

Reply #7
It isn't a high priority at this point, but shadows are something we would like to improve.
First of all, they could use a lot of optimization, and we already have a good idea on how to do it. it is the same for vegetation, we've experimented a bit with it internally, but nothing releasable.
Ideally, neither should be a strain and we should be able to keep them on for everyone, even old PC configurations.

For visibility, they do "stack" too much to create too much darkness. There are ways to have better visibility yet still a feeling of darkness and allowing to "hide".
Again, not a priority, but we are aware it can be an issue for some players.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #8
I have the same problem .. Is the only solution to switch off the shadow and vegitation? Or is there a different solution?

Thanks and have a nice day