Skip to main content

Topic: Discussion: PvE Stress Test Event Results (Read 729 times) previous topic - next topic

Discussion: PvE Stress Test Event Results
Greetings,
This is the developer point of view of the PvE event of last Sunday.
In short, everything ran smoothly server side, and mostly well client side. This event gave us very valuable data to improve the game.
PvE Stress Test Event Results
Thank you all for your participation, enjoy the video!
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Re: Discussion: PvE Stress Test Event Results
Reply #1
The video is a great thing to watch - it really looked like the mobs were defending their home from us!

Reply #2
Yes. and there were different "pockets" of players on multiple side, most likely grouped up by clans.
We believe that if we can get the backside of the mob army to come and help their friends, we can lower the individual strength of monsters and have more deaths on the monster side with each "pockets" getting loot while everyone is sharing the spawn.
Having less high rare "loot events" would also reduce the potential for negative interactions around graves.

All in all, we're just happy about all this. We have still a long road ahead of us but this, this worked out how we had hoped.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Very nice footage. I was one of these players with stuttering issues and graphic lag but overall was playable.

Imo, the game engine need a simple LOD option. Infact when there is fog i have a boost in FPS, while when the weather is clear i have a significative drop.
I think LOD is necessary to reduce poligons and complexity of distant structures/players and will definitiviley solve, client side, any graphic lag or issue during large battles.
  • Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:34:53 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
oh la la ;) nice vid

Reply #5
@Fnights
A "simple LOD option" won't help in this case.
The game client in these situation is CPU bound. hogged by updating the state of all entities around and managing the networking.
If you understood French, one of the devs actually says he has smooth performances on a laptop without a graphics card.
However, as it is a dev oriented pc, it has a great CPU, hence how smooth it was. Extra ram helps too.

What we believe we can still do is a better management of memory by doing another witch hunt for leaks.
This would reduce the stuttering by not having to swap as often. There is also some work possible on the network updates but that is trickier.
Regular culling would lower CPU drain, but is not an option for what New Dawn intends to be. We would risk having players pop in and out of existence and lose the troops movement aspect of the game.

Reply #6
@Fnights
If you understood French, one of the devs actually says he has smooth performances on a laptop without a graphics card.
However, as it is a dev oriented pc, it has a great CPU, hence how smooth it was. Extra ram helps too.

So how will this baby fare?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
@Maejohl
i can't even escape you on the DND forum bragging about your new computer :P
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
@Fnights

Good, but you can skip on the graphics card you won't need it.

Reply #9

That's for Star Citizen :)

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
What we believe we can still do is a better management of memory by doing another witch hunt for leaks.
This would reduce the stuttering by not having to swap as often. There is also some work possible on the network updates but that is trickier.

I see, i also forget to mention that using shader 1_1 will greatly reduce the stuttering at the expense of quality indeed. In this regard have you ever considered to use some of the 1_1 shaders (like water) in the 2_0 profile?
I'm sure it can tremendously increase the fps without lowering too much the quality of the game.
  • Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:30:38 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #11

This is blasphemy!  O:)
Come at me!!
In the Darkfall Univers since 2005
- Coding is like Cuisine. Everyone knows good food when they eat it, but what looks easy in the plate could take hours of baking in the kitchen. - DND Godking Dev

Reply #12
that looks like alot of meat stew

Reply #13

Isn't beta estimated to start a year from now?  And that's assuming no time slippage.  You'll be able to buy your card for 10 Euros by Release time. ;)

But far be it from me to criticize a man's justification for his video card.  Any justification is a good justification for a smokin' video card, in my book!

Reply #14
I'd love to be able to turn off all names and health bars.  So much more immersive.