Skip to main content

Topic: So why is Hellstorm waters disabled? (Read 385 times) previous topic - next topic

So why is Hellstorm waters disabled?
Does anyone know? I used to love the battles there way back in I dunno what version of df...
Vynn-Former Leader of Adamo Aetas (AA) from DF1, DF-UW, Mortal Online, and about 40 other mmos....

Re: So why is Hellstorm waters disabled?
Reply #1
they are waiting until a "sea expansion" to update ships and sea towers and other sea content.

Pretty fucking stupid since it's a passive activity maintainer, but guess this game is thriving without such content :D

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Ships are boarded too easily, so they were afraid that the more casual clans would be losing ships to players flying across the water and killing them all on the ship.

The rewards are also another thing that likely needed tweaking, as 100's of rare ores would be coming into the game from an active event instead of the alts hitting mines across the world.

So they chose to put them on inactivity, to allow the devs to find ways of making ships actually usefull for when you fight in water.
And the economy gets to stabalise a little, so the rewards arent too great/too little.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #3
Sea towers are a relic of the past. With localization they are simply stupid predefined static content that does not fit DND concepts and will only magnify problems with lack of LOCAL content and NEED to travel for an hour to find action.

What do you suggest? To force people to travel for an hour (to sea tower and back) if they want content? Is this your idea of making DND better?
Or maybe you guys think all people should move to the north and south, surrounding the towers but splitting the little population we have in half?

What about reward? Because if it's insignificant, no one will waste massive amounts of time needed to even participate. If it's significant, it will be another timer based shitty mechanic that will allow people that can play in offhours / nolife the game to capture it with no competition.

Sea towers are even more retarded than villages are right now. As they always had sliding timers like villages have right now, but with magnified rewards and there are only two of them on the edges of the map. Add local banking and no teleport chambers to the picture and wake up from this wet dream of sea towers being even remotely close to the content we need.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
No need to cry about timer based events, its in the game that is beyond critic, so clearly its meant to be.

I know you get annoyed by a response like this, but the way you view what is good for the game and what isnt is beyond my understanding. So it looks like only you get to keep the right to complain about what is wrong with the game, so i just bounce the ball back to you in the same way.

Reply #5
So they chose to put them on inactivity, to allow the devs to find ways of making ships actually usefull for when you fight in water.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sea vessels mandatory for sea travel/transport, chasing a ship impossible without a ship, ships/rafts necessary to travel to sea villages, mages no longer have free get out of jail card by escaping to the water. And water fighting no longer a problem so no severe imbalance between classes.

All above can be achieved with one simple change:
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,9253.0.html

• Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:38:13 pm by wildNothing

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Ships are boarded too easily

And who's fault is that? Ub3rgames, for making water combat the one-dimensional mage-fuckfest that it is.

And guess in which game boarding became harder? UW, for having the basic sense of offering retractable nets, as well as ships that didn't get out-ran by fast mounts.

Lastly, who's fucking comically idiotic idea was it to gate ship access behind Ice Dragon kills or extremely lucky Kraken drops? Ships were always a fun goal for casual DF players, the tech for them especially several years ago was quite impressive. But welcome to New Dawn, the Darkfall iteration with literally the least amount of content, BECAUSE FUCK FUN.

On a similar note, I bet most people didn't know they even disabled Warhulks? The skill cannot be obtained and the Orbs do not exist in any loot table. Oh, but they forgot to remove Foundries and Warhulk Module drops though, because Ub3r only does half-jobs.

Edit: I mean, for fucks sake, we still loot runestones, portal shards and mysterious essences and none of them even have a function. How much more proof of their lack of caring do you need when you can clearly see they do not even care to fix the easiest fucking things.
  • Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:49:39 pm by Raap
Proud member of TD.

Reply #7
Sea towers are a relic of the past. With localization they are simply stupid predefined static content that does not fit DND concepts and will only magnify problems with lack of LOCAL content and NEED to travel for an hour to find action.

What do you suggest? To force people to travel for an hour (to sea tower and back) if they want content? Is this your idea of making DND better?
Or maybe you guys think all people should move to the north and south, surrounding the towers but splitting the little population we have in half?

What about reward? Because if it's insignificant, no one will waste massive amounts of time needed to even participate. If it's significant, it will be another timer based shitty mechanic that will allow people that can play in offhours / nolife the game to capture it with no competition.

Sea towers are even more retarded than villages are right now. As they always had sliding timers like villages have right now, but with magnified rewards and there are only two of them on the edges of the map. Add local banking and no teleport chambers to the picture and wake up from this wet dream of sea towers being even remotely close to the content we need.

How local can things get? You want individual content local for every clan, so that they do not have to travel around to find pvp or pvp gear mobs etc? How is that even an mmorpg, if you design it to be statically indifferent geographically? There should be hotspots in the game, to value certain areas over others. Else, everything is a leveled playingfield, and there is no differentiation in value between anything. It doesn't matter where you want to set down shop for your clan without hotspots, anywhere is good - as long as we get to farm our local mobs for local loot to put in our local bank and make sure we get our local pvp from the same neighbours for infinity, as traveling the world for pvp is senseless, because you get the same content right next to you. Practically, it sets you up to safely and contently experience only a fraction of the game, because it is just the same anywhere else on the map.

People already now have to travel over an hour for pvp, sometimes more. On average, sea towers are not that hard to reach for anyone anywhere on the map. Lower map half has to travel further for top sea tower, and vice versa - but at the same time, they have closer access to their respective sea tower. If they want to participate in both, they have to risk more. So what that people have to travel - the game's content is tedium after all! With sieges being pointless, this would at least be a passive driver for large parties to go out and seek pvp regularly. It gives incentive to invest in ships, and to bring out good gear bags to contest the towers. It promotes sieging of coastal cities, so that you can logistically reach them easier. Rewards can be maintained unique to racial weapon mats etc. and play a large role in racial warfronts later.

Reply #8
How local can things get? You want individual content local for every clan, so that they do not have to travel around to find pvp or pvp gear mobs etc? How is that even an mmorpg, if you design it to be statically indifferent geographically? There should be hotspots in the game, to value certain areas over others. Else, everything is a leveled playingfield, and there is no differentiation in value between anything. It doesn't matter where you want to set down shop for your clan without hotspots, anywhere is good - as long as we get to farm our local mobs for local loot to put in our local bank and make sure we get our local pvp from the same neighbours for infinity, as traveling the world for pvp is senseless, because you get the same content right next to you. Practically, it sets you up to safely and contently experience only a fraction of the game, because it is just the same anywhere else on the map.
You do not understand. It would be better to have dynamic content than static. And it would be better to have content generated by LOCAL activity in the area and not timer based. Not like villages in dnd but like levies in dfUW. Nothing will stop you from traveling though if you want.

If you want naval fights make people use boats (my suggestion above). And make boats faster on top of it.

Instead you suggest two timer based villages on water (sea towers) while forum is full of comments about how stupid sliding timers are and how frustrating it is when you HAVE to go for 20 minutes rides just to find any content at all. Makes zero sense to suggest basically same thing.
  • Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:34:27 pm by wildNothing

Reply #9
-SG of Garbage Men (Wolf/Ork)
Always recruiting new and old players.

Reply #10
Yeah, I'm against a timer based activity as well, I'd rather see it as a warfront objective that has to be "activated" for conquest over them. Kind of like dropping a racial siege on them, for example.

Reply #11

How about if your clan focuses on seatowers you cap a holding near one lmao
Nvm that would make some holdings usefull and contested, garbage idea
ADD ME ON SNAPCHAT: PETIT_CHAT69

You should recomend the game to new players. It's never been in a better state

Reply #12
How about you read what you quote to not make fool out of yourself?

Reply #13
How about you read what you quote to not make fool out of yourself?

...the irony ....

Reply #14
I do not understand why there cannot be timer based events as well as other types. It makes people like myself and my wife able to plan something in advance around our children. One or both of us can be involved if we plan it in advance, and the villages, while tedious and boring for some, are something we can look forward too. Especially if the time runs down shortly after our children go to bed, and before we have to sleep. We mainly pve, craft and gather as it fits our lifestyle and the capture points are one of the few opportunities we have to plan a potential fight. We still enjoy the ships, because since we have less time for active playing (as opposed to passive like gathering) it is worth our time to save for go out for, since dying isn't the main downside for us, not being able to do something on a schedule is. Seeing a siege is coming at a certain time is also along the same lines. it is something at least one of us can do, as the other (usually me, lol) watches the kids.

You don't like timed events, ok, I get that, but some do. Don't wish away something that has been in the game a long time and draws people like us, when you could just wish to ADD more. Taking away would be pointless as some people are here because those functions are here. Don't take anything away that could isolate and take away players. I believe a lot of various types of content should be added, but I don't believe they should only be the types you like. Others are playing to my friend.

The ship battles around those towers are among my top 10 best memories of all the darkfall games, I should add.
Vynn-Former Leader of Adamo Aetas (AA) from DF1, DF-UW, Mortal Online, and about 40 other mmos....